Kinetix 6000 burning resistor

jerrysohpal

Hello
we have KINETIX 6000 and for power supply/servo drove model we have 2094-B0C7-M05. Running alone is fine but when I connect another drive model 2094-BMP5-S, the braking resistor in BMP5 drive heats up and blow off after some time. I was reading through the manual and I may need a SHUNT MODULE possibly.
Is it because of the missing shunt module or do I need any loops or something to sort this out?

You've increased the amount of power that needs to be absorbed by adding a drive so the wattage and the resistor value will probably need to be changed. You may be able to add another resistor in parallel.

Kinetix

As i am testing it on table, i am adding just 1 drive on the us as the bus we using can get 5 drives, 1 is connected the main power supply/servo drive, 1 of the bmp5 and the i put slot filler, last 2 slots are left open. Do i need to put the drives on all the slots to maintain the dc power?

You need 2094-PRF "slot fillers" in all of the unused slots for the Kinetix 6000 power chassis. If they are not present the DC bus will not turn on and the servo system will be disabled.

That's the largest (49 Ampere) converter (IAM) module, 2094-BC07-M05, and you're using the smallest (5 Ampere) axis (AM) module, 2094-BMP5-S.

Also, the Axis module is a Safety type module. Is the IAM module also a safety module (2094-BC07-M05-S) ? As far as I know they are physically compatible on the same power rail, but only the Axis Module will have safe-torque-off.

Are you actually turning motors with this benchtop system ?

Is there any chance you accidentally installed a 2094-AMP5-S module, which is a 200-volt class module ?

Check the Bus Regulator configuration and find out if you're configured to use the internal shunts.

Generally the Kinetix 6000 will fault on Bus Overvoltage long before any damage occurs to an internal or external shunt resistor.

Thanks ken
i am using the right drives as per power side(230 or 460 v class)
the issue i am having looks like because i am putting just one slave drive and 1 slot filler, other 2 slots are empty. I may need to fill them with either the fillers or the drives. Let me do this test then i will reply what happened.
And yes i am running the motors on this setup.
Thanks

The Kinetix should not even enable the DC bus if there are literally empty slots.

Are you using a LIM line interface module ?

IF so, are you jumpering around the Contactor Enable feature ?

What exact component is being damaged ? How are you repairing it ?