Let's be careful out there!

I can't think of any reason why anyone needs to be locked inside a cell to program/ test/ setup a robot program.
i have been almost around the world installing robots ...
Well, how do you do any of the following being outside a cage?
- Zero position mastering.
- Tool frame definition by 3 point method.
- User frame definition by 3 point method with a probe.
- Teaching fine targets.
- Process close watching for troubleshooting.

The number of cases where people are causing harm to themselves on purpose is increasing. In some parts of the world, or some socio-economic classes; this is an opportunity for compensation from the organisation and/or local government.

That's as may be but, I suspect this was simply a case of 'Let's just get this done!' mixed with some 'familiarity breeds contempt'.

I suspect this was simply a case of 'Let's just get this done!' mixed with some 'familiarity breeds contempt'.

I hate to say it but as soon as I saw "22 year old worker" and "he", I had a lot less sympathy. Kids these days...

On the other side of the fence, if someone hurt or killed themselves in/on/around some of my designs, whether it was on purpose or not; I would feel gutted.

... if someone hurt or killed themselves in/on/around some of my designs, whether it was on purpose or not; I would feel gutted.

Because of this I have more than once refused to work on a machine that was inherently unsafe & didn't want the liability (legal or emotional0 of working on it & someone getting hurt/killed & having to be involved with that in this sue happy country - sue everyone ever involved with the history of repairs of the machine.

Well, how do you do any of the following being outside a cage?
- Zero position mastering.
- Tool frame definition by 3 point method.
- User frame definition by 3 point method with a probe.
- Teaching fine targets.
- Process close watching for troubleshooting.

I never said you had to be outside the cage
The issue I have with the previous comments were that the gentleman was inside the cage and someone else outside to reset the safeties, why does this need to be done? If the system is designed properly this should never have to be done.

The teaching/ setup etc.. obviously can be done in Teach mode with the safeties locked out to prevent the cell/ robot going into Auto mode

[URL="http://io9.com/why-asimovs-three-laws-of-robotics-cant-protect-us-1553665410"[/URL]

To add a little more to Lancie's post.....Asimov may have had a vision of what ASI or even AGI counterparts would one day become from the decades of research by trial and error, but one of the main ingredients he failed to perceive is the evil that men do.

Being an Army veteran with a now outdated SECRET clearance, I have witnessed a very small portion of robotics and primitive AI when governed by derelict governments and authorities alike.

Asimov clearly never foresaw the conventionality of mankind dwindle to a malevolent state.

safety of Humans is must, be extra careful while doing the installation , testing or repairing of the robots. when you are working inside the cell , you must have a technician with sound operating knowledge of the Robot outside the cell to activate the safety in case of emergency.

Turn the machinery completely OFF while doing the repair work and do the double check on this.

Always Remember SAFETY FIRST.