logix 5000 bit shift left help

darren1990

hi,

having abit of trouble getting the bit shift left to work in logix 5000

all is good except it wont accept my array when i verify

It comes up

Error: Rung 3, BSL, Operand 0: Not array element.

Any one else had this problem ?

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum !

Please post the exact syntax of the tag you're using in the Bit Shift Left instruction, as well as details about what datatype that tag is using.

Usually when an instruction gives you a "not an array element" it means you haven't entered the array element in square brackets [x], but rather some other syntax that points to the whole tag or some other sub-element.

Hi Darren, and Welcome to the Forum!

Is the tag you have assigned to "Array" in the BSL instruction actually an array? i.e. is it a dimensioned correctly? Even if you are only shifting within 1 x 32 bit DINT, it must be an array, and not just a DINT data type.

Example: TAG: MY_BSL_DINT Data Type: DINT < This tag is not dimensioned, is not an array

Example: TAG: My_BSL_DINT Data Type: DINT[1] < This tag is dimensioned, is an array of 1 element x 32 bits

Depending on how many bits you need to shift, you need to dimension the tag accordingly. If you need to shift more than 1 DINT (32 bits), then increase the dimension from 1 to what ever multiple of 32 bits you require.

EDIT: Quick Draw McRoach!

Regards,
George

My data type was just DINT not DINT[1]
and my tag is just Array_Dint

thanks for both of your help, have been googling this for hours!

Darren