Logix 5000 IO Configuration

dbh6

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good evening,

A thought came to mind when i'am over here creating the generic modules for temperature controllers, VFD, etc. Say for example you created a generic module for a VFD, the properties tab appears where you enter the name, IP addresses, Input & output assembly sizes etc. Once you're done creating it, over on your controller tags the Input, Output & Configuration memory registers are automatically created with the size of the registers matching the sizes that you specified in the IO input & output assembly sizes.

So my question is say is their a way to export the generic vfd device that you created included the automatically assigned controller tags so that in the event that ran into another VFD of the same type you would just import that data in and the process images for the IO will already be mapped for you???

That's a very interesting question to which I don't know, but am curious about, the answer!

I'm currently in the process of proving in a barcode reader installation, which I will have to roll-out to 30+ more machines in the near future.

I'm wondering if one can just copy/paste the module directly across projects, or if wizard must be used...

I would think you could build a UDT of the exact same data structure, and then test it by attempting to copy it to/from the controller tag.

Once you have a UDT, it will be portable ie. drag/drop, copy/paste.

Last edited:
@okiepc , I actually did create a UDT of them same input/output data structure through which I used a cop instruction to map the raw IO data to a variable tag that I created that was based on the UDT of the same data structure. That works fine, but the generic module In the IO config has to be created with correctly assigning the process images for the mapping to work, I tried right clicking on the generic IO that I created to see if theirs a export or something but no luck, I would be surprised if their was no way to do this, otherwise one would have to create that generic module each time :(