Generic Ethernet module config in Logix 5000, configuration controller tag size

AlfredoQuintero

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello:
I have not been able to get RSLogix 5000 to display expected configuration screen for 1732E configurable armour blocks. Waiting for RA support. In the mean time, trying to configure the module as generic Ethernet IO. Never done this before and I have a question, for which clarification I would be very thankful.
I go by the manual and create a generic Ethernet device. The size of the configuration instance is set to 130 bytes as required. But the actual controller tag has 400 bytes, whereas the size for the input and output assembly look like as per the configured settings. Is this the way it should be for the actual configuration assembly. Details below:

COnfig_InstanceSysze_Issue.jpg

It allocates 400 bytes no matter what, I looked back on some projects that successfully used GENERIC modules and they were all 400 bytes even when the number of configuration bytes was 0. I never bothered to look at it.

temp1.JPG temp2.JPG

Thanks very much jstolaruk for taking the time to take these screenshots and respond. Wonder why does not the documentation make a short comment saying that the configuration tag will have 400 bytes. This could save RA so much after-sales support effort.

Unfortunately the generic Ethernet module configuration does not work, and I get a inscrutable error description in the Wireshark trace. Any hint would be much appreciated. Logix 5000 mentions identity mismatch. Do I need to write identity somewhere in the configuration tag? This is not clear from the document, or I have missed this.

2022-06-06_Generic.png

Maybe the documentation is wrong and the input size should be six bytes. When I add that module to a project with a working AOP, the input tags created total six bytes.

EA3782BF-FFD5-420F-A39E-5A55E2FD17CE.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, it didn't occur to me to ask before. Why use a generic module type when the predefined module exists and has all of the module properties are easily accessible? (these were snapshots from RSLogix 5000 v20.05 running in Win10)

temp3.JPG temp4.JPG

Sorry, it didn't occur to me to ask before. Why use a generic module type when the predefined module exists and has all of the module properties are easily accessible? (these were snapshots from RSLogix 5000 v20.05 running in Win10)
Because as I report in this link, I cannot get the installation of the add-on-profile for this device to complete properly. Waiting for RA's support on this.

jstolaruk, can you please show the "configuration" tab in your project? I want to see how it looks on your environment. In mine I do not get the same screen as in the Rockwell documentation, as I explained in this link.
Thanks.

Maybe the documentation is wrong and the input size should be six bytes. When I add that module to a project with a working AOP, the input tags created total six bytes.
Thanks very much, 51618. The configuration file cannot be 6 bytes, because according to the documentation, things like the direction of the IO, are configured starting in word 33. The QuickCOnnect setting is in word 32, etc.
But thanks for this information.
I suspect I have not understood all the required settings. Trying to get RA's support. Would prefer to use the AOP.

Last edited:
jstolaruk, can you please show the "configuration" tab in your project? I want to see how it looks on your environment. In mine I do not get the same screen as in the Rockwell documentation, as I explained in this link.
Thanks.
For that device as seen in temp4.jpg? It is input filter settings. Or is it something else? Which version of RSLogix are you using? Or are you using Studio 5000?

temp5.JPG

(EDIT) I have Logix Designer 5000, v 32, and you have the same problem as me.
I installed the APO, and I do not get the configuration page I am supposed to get according to the documentation. With the screens you show it is not possible to configure the IO direction. If you installed the AOP ypu should be getting the screen shown belos.

ConfigurationPage.png

Last edited:
My bad, you have a AOP installation issue, sorry, ignore this.

Have you actual wired up and tried it?

From the manual:

"Self-configuring Modules
The 1732E-16CFGM12QCR, 1732E-16CFGM12P5QCR, and 1732E-16CFGM12QCWR self-configuring modules contain both input and output functionality.
• If an I/O point is to be an output, dedicate that point as an output with a wired load and energize it through a control program.
• Energized outputs show an associated active input that can be used as a feedback mechanism to make certain that the output is on.
• If an I/O point is to be an input, wire the input device as normal and leave the associated output de-energized at all time"

What is the link for or the name this document that has this page?

(EDIT) I have Logix Designer 5000, v 32, and you have the same problem as me.
I installed the APO, and I do not get the configuration page I am supposed to get according to the documentation. With the screens you show it is not possible to configure the IO direction. If you installed the AOP ypu should be getting the screen shown belos.