Logix question (getting online)

whippee2

Hello all,

Havent visited in a while. Still trying to learn plcs. I currently work in manufacturing and deal with omron, mitsubishi, AB and Siemens plcs.
I have a question about getting on line with a Micrologix (AB) plc. The micrologix is connected to the main PlC, which is AB RS logix 500, via the 232 connection. There is no other port on the MicroLogix plc. There are a serious of other remote plc bases connected to the main plc, these are on each of the print units. When I run RSlinx, i can connect to the main plc and can see the other remote bases, but i cant see the MIcrologix plc. I cant disconnect the 232 link while the machine is running or the machine will stop (as this is a jam detector PLC). Can anyone shed a bit of light on this?

BTW, I connect to the main plc via a 1785 (i think thats what it is) cable to a PMCK card in the laptop.

So I guess my question is, how do i monitor the Micro plc while they are running. I need to get online with it, and dont know what I need to do to achieve this.
Thanks for reading, hopefully someone can help me out.

Thanks
Whippee2

Not quit enough info.
What Micrologix do you have and what protocol is its port set for?
RSLogix500 is software used to program Microloigx, SLC500 controllers.
What is the main PLC? ( SLC5/01,02,03,04,05) What protocol is used between the Micrologix and the main PLC. What protocol are you using to connect to the main PLC? And what port?

thanks for reply, I will get the rest of the info when I go to work this afternoon.
How can i check the protocol of the port on the Micro?
Sorry forgot to mention that the main PLC is a SLC 5 ( I will double check tonight tho)
Regarding the protocol, is this the means of communication?
I will definetly get back.
thanks
Whippee

To check the protocol open the offline file (your .RSP file) and look at the channel configuration. For both the Micro and your SLC5???.

Or post the programs here if you can and someone can take a look for you.
Zip them first then post.

Some SLC's support passthru between channels. See PDF below for more info on this.

Thanks for reply,
I have got online at work and had a look at the channel configs.
Unfortunatly I dont have a stick or a hdd here to get the programs from the craptop to this pc, so Ill have to type them out. Hopefully someone here will follow.
here we go:

MICROLOGIX 1000

DF1/485 configuration
DF1 (box ticked)
Baud: 9600
Node Address: 1
Full Duplex

SLC 05/4 CPU (this is the main plc)
GENERAL TAB
Channel one: DH+
pass thru link: 2
Edit resource: 60 secs.
Diagnostic File: 0

Channel 0
System Driver: DF1 Full Duplex
Mode: System
pass thru: 1
Edit resource: 60 Secs.
User Driver: ASC11
Mode attention: \1b
System Mode Char: S
User Mode char: U

CHANNEL ONE SYSTEM TAB
Driver: DH+
Baud: 57.6K
Node Address: 1

CHANNEL 0 SYSTEM TAB
Driver: DF1 Full Duplex
Baud: 9600
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Source ID: 0

Protocol Control
Control Line: No handshaking
Error detection: CRC
Embedded responses: Enabled
Duplicate packet detect (box ticked)
ACK timeout: 50
NAK: 3
ENQ: 3

CHANNEL 0 USER

Driver: ASC11
Baud: 1200
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
Data bits: 8
Termination Characters:
term 1: \d
term 2: \ff
append 1: \d
append 2: \a

protocol control
No handshaking
Delete Mode: ignore

Thats all the info off the config channel section. Hope its not to hard to follow.
BTW: I use a 1784 comms cable that connects to the PCMK card in the lappy and to the program terminal of the CPU.
The 232 port on the CPU is being used by the cable that runs to the Micrologix PLC.

Thanks alot again for the help and taking the time to read.
whippee2

Not sure if you can pass through the 5/04, I have never done it.... but the way to check is click on the + sign on the 5/04 in RSLinx

This will expand the 5/04 and show you anything on it, if it is setup as a pass through then you should be able to see the MicroLogix on the Data Highyway

Like I said I have never done it before, but your 5/04 is talking to your MicroLogix now....

As GIT said ,I have not done a passthru from DH+ to DF1 but the PDF I
posted above leads me to believe it can be done. Read through it carefully. Not sure if you have to have the SLC5/04 in program mode to make the necessary status bit and comm changes.

thanks for replies, I have version 2.50.00.20(cpr7) for linx and for logix 500 I have version 7.10.00 (cpr 7)

And I have checked in Linx for the recognition of the micrologix in the highway + and it is not present. I have five nodes, one for the main plc, 3 for the three printers and one for the die cut unit. so the only one im missing is the micrologix for the jam detection.
whippee