M02AE with L81 controller - Analog AXIS_SERVO

jetwax

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, I have an old controllogix L6x rack full of M02AE cards that I'd like to update to a controllogix L81E controller.

It seems that the L81 controller (V32) doesn't support AXIS_SERVO UDT structure / commands. I read elswerhere on this forum that L8x controllers don't support analog motion but I don't see that explicitly stated in the rockwell literature.

I can convert the program to run on an L8x controller, but can't use the analog motion instructions. The M02AE cards are OK in the tree and the Motion Groups exist.

My drives are connected with analog speed reference and quadrature feedback to the M02AE cards. Any suggestions on an upgrade path to move forwards from L61 controllers while keeping the drives and motion intact?

What firmware do you have loaded in the 1756-M02AE modules ?

The RA Knowledgebase suggests that the ControlLogix 5580 does support the 1756-M02AE, and the User Manual for the 5580 has a section that says you can select 1756 analog, hydraulic, and SSI motion modules.

The Product Compatibility and Download Center has 1756-M02AE firmware all the way up to v31, 32, 33, and 34.

I am currently wrestling with a fresh Win10 x64 installation of all of my newest Logix so I can't see exactly what sort of Axes you can define for a 5580 family ControlLogix.

Thinking of using version 32 firmware, I understand the need to have the cards and controller and .acd file in the same firmware revision.

From what I understand now, you can't use AXIS_SERVO, AXIS_GENERIC, AXIS_SERVO_DRIVE UDT's with L8x controllers.

Now my question is how to accomplish the same motion instructions such as:
MDO
MAM
MSO
MSF

with the existing M02AE cards and an L8x controller? Has anyone else run accross this?

I have a plc program here for an L81ES V32. If I attempt to add an axis, I can select any of the axis types you listed EXCEPT for AXIS_GENERIC. All I have close to that is AXIS_GENERIC_DRIVE. So I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to select the other versions.

Keith

I believe my problem was trying to use V30 or V31, In V32 and V33 it seems to work fine. Thanks all for your help!