Manufacturer training classes

Ron

When I divide the the classes I did not call them in name.
Engineer or techiesion ar not the issue.
I divide the type of pepole thay can be engineers or techiesions.
Even if you graduate college it is not say any thing.
I left the college in the last semester to open my own business.So technically I am not en engineer.And I do not consider my self as en engineer.(I think system integrator is the right title)
To be honest some time when I am lazy I like to be fed with spoon.
I like the people who live the feild and the real world problems.In a lot of cases I prefer their opinion rather then the smart enginners.
I did not ment in any way to harm any one just to point the diference btween those two type of people and type of traning way.
I clever enough not to under estimate any one.
I respect any person no metter who he is.
My problem is to site in class with someone who cannot think or came without the right back ground for that class.

rgurin, NTT uses in-class trainers that currently have A-B 1305's and ABB ACS140's. You can select which one you use for the 18+ labs we do in three days or, if you are fast, you can do the labs using first one and then the other.

The reason these particular units were chosen is that the 1305 programs essentially like a 1336 which in its various forms must have 10's of thousands of units installed.

Similarly, the ABB drive uses the same software structure that virtually all recent ABB drives use so it is quite broad in its coverage as well.

It is useful to contrast the two as well particularly in how the software is grouped. One groups by function and one groups by operation.

It makes a nice training experience and is highly adaptable to different student needs. Of course, being a nice guy, (blush) I always try to make every student happy. That can be harder than it seems on the surface!!! Last week I had a student in class that couldn't speak English!!!! Sigh!!!!!!

The one GE distributor that I dealt with had their guru leave. After 6 months they replaced him. I call for prices and an outline drawing on the new 64 point micro. About a month later I got a call back. After two weeks of trying to download the pdf, I finally called another distributor and got the info immediately. Someday, I may have to go out of state.

I have sent several people to contact a REALLY GOOD distributor in Michigan.

When your local distributor sucks, like my local AB house does, there is always another a little further down the road.

Since I don't get a decent multiplier from the AB guys, I won't buy more, thus never getting a good multiplier.

However, with GE, that has never been a problem.

Now, as far as Entertron goes, they have good prices, good tech support, and hopefully, a BIG free school down the street from me with lots of FREE food soon. I would accept a coupon to McDonalds, also. BTW, They have a neat comparison of their SmartPak PLC versus the "smart" relays on the company site now.

regards all.....kc

I apologize but I must

Ok, for some its not possible to go "down the road", distributors may have jurisdiction.

I have been quiet on this subject because Stephen has been very good to me.

If you want to obtain more customers do not worry about training...develop the software better. It may be free but geez its bad.

Thats my humble opinion and sorry if it conflicts with what others think.

Ron

You said it right.

"If you want to obtain more customers do not worry about training...develop the software better. It may be free but geez its bad."

I totaly agree with you.
I can point some vender I do not use their gear because they have not friendly software.
Each new unit I get I check how friendly it is.
If it is not like I want why to bother, my time worth more.

Ron Beaufort said:
in the old days (before PLCs) a competent technician could …, just physically follow the wire to trace the control circuit ...

now that PLC control is being used, things are different ... now when the technician traces the wiring from an output device in the field, he runs head-on into the PLC ... to the untrained, this thing is a mysterious black box ... so where does the technician go from here? ... sure, the problem is probably NOT really inside the PLC ... much more than likely it’s still just a loose wire or a malfunctioning input device somewhere out in the field ... but how does the technician go about tracing the control circuit now? ... usually without some type of PLC training, he can’t ...
Correct me if I am wrong. Your point is: - PLS is a mysterious black box for untrained technician. No doubt, it is number one to get initial training, but from my point of view it is not a big dial to mastered that “box” up to the entry troubleshooting level. I mean: connect laptop, go online, find, trace, force I/O and even to use Custom Data Monitor. Your posting has generated an idea that PLC appeared as a troubleshooting tool that can reduce time for physical tracing of the control circuit. I would need that sort of advanced troubleshooting courses where people share their practical elegant solutions, techniques and strategies. For example: I see as one of my priority tasks to review the PLC comments. I would like to know the best way how to organize structured, meaningful, relevant and reliable documentation. Once the Ladder has proper comments I can use Advanced Diagnostics (in RSLogix), CDM makes better sense, etc.

Does anybody know that kind of courses or the Inet recourses?

Thank you.