$MER.00 location on Windows 10 (restoring PV runtime)

phuz

I'm running the backdoor method to recover a PV runtime file that does not have backwards compatibility but I cannot find the $MER.00 folder in Windows 10 (FTView 12). I would think C:\users\<logged in user>\AppData\Local\Temp but it's not there. I put this in my XP VM and was able to grab the $MER.00 but I'm getting some errors preventing me from opening the actual graphic files in FTView Studio, so I want to try running it in Win10 and see if I can get them.

Last edited:
Once again, I make a post and then it hits me. Maybe it's here:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\Temp

Yup!

But I still get the same error for ANY of the graphic files and I'm unable to open them.
Graphics: Unable to open a ME Runtime Application graphics file: C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI Projects\<Customer>\Gfx\MAIN MENU.gfx

What version is the MER?

If you are willing to email it, I can try with v10.

Pretty sure it's a V10 file actually.
I can email it. Shoot me a PM with your address.

I also found your other thread, and opened the hex editor. Unfortunately, the C79 offset was already 00, so that wasn't it.

Pretty sure it's a V10 file actually.
I can email it. Shoot me a PM with your address.

I also found your other thread, and opened the hex editor. Unfortunately, the C79 offset was already 00, so that wasn't it.

Sent

The hex value has to do with whether the application was configured to allow restoration or not. If the application is v4 or earlier, conversion wasn't a thing so that hex value wouldn't apply. It only applies to v5 and newer, where restoring MER's was allowed.