Micrologix 1000 -> Micrologix 1400 read/write values

jacob0605

Hello i have two systems workering together with a Micrologix 1000, where their are communication between them with a serial cable.

Now i have upgraded one of them to a Micrologix 1400 PLC. But now there is no communication between them, what do i do to get it to work?

I can read on Google that i have to create MSG block. but I dont know what to do with my bits and have to get it to work.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/719811

Picture of my code

https://imgur.com/FzzJakX

https://imgur.com/9f01gx5

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Please clarify: the MSG instructions were in the MicroLogix 1000 that has been replaced by a MicroLogix 1400. So you need to convert the old logic that used bits in the the Integer (N) files used for "control blocks", to new logic that uses special-purpose Message control (MG) blocks.

Can you post the screenshot that shows the whole ladder logic rungs, including the instructions that precede the MSG instructions ? You can include screenshots inline with your post by using the Attach Files feature.

That Knowledgebase document includes most of what you need to know, including the example showing that the first Word contains the control bits (N7:0 and N7:20 in your case).

Code:
N7:0/15	MG9:0.EN   (Enable)
N7:0/13	MG9:0.DN   (Done)
N7:0/12	MG9:0.ER   (Error)
N7:0/8	MG9:0.TO   (Timeout)

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Please clarify: the MSG instructions were in the MicroLogix 1000 that has been replaced by a MicroLogix 1400. So you need to convert the old logic that used bits in the the Integer (N) files used for "control blocks", to new logic that uses special-purpose Message control (MG) blocks.

Can you post the screenshot that shows the whole ladder logic rungs, including the instructions that precede the MSG instructions ? You can include screenshots inline with your post by using the Attach Files feature.

That Knowledgebase document includes most of what you need to know, including the example showing that the first Word contains the control bits (N7:0 and N7:20 in your case).

Code:
N7:0/15	MG9:0.EN   (Enable)
N7:0/13	MG9:0.DN   (Done)
N7:0/12	MG9:0.ER   (Error)
N7:0/8	MG9:0.TO   (Timeout)

Thanks! Only one of the two PLCs is a ML1400. I need to communicate from ML1000 to a ML1400, is that even possible?
I have converted the code from the ML1000 to the new ML1400.

I have never used MSG blocks before and don't understand the basic. I have tried to watch some youtube guides about it, but I can't understand it.

Is the screenshot okay?

MSG 3.PNG

Hi, and Welcome also.

Besides the messaging "puzzle" that needs solving here, I would also advise we step back a little and make sure you have the communications port, that you intend to use on the new MicroLogix 1400, set up correctly...

Do you know which protocol the MicroLogix 1000 controllers were using to communicate with each other (DF1 or DH-485) and which cabling was used to physically interface them? This way you can configure (if not already) the intended port on the MicroLogix 1400 to use the same communications protocol as the original MicroLogix 1000 and get them physically connected properly. There are two serial ports on the MicroLogix 1400 which could be used here. I would "assume" the cable type that was connected to the original MicroLogix 1000 port is the same one you are connecting to the MicroLogix 1400 i.e. 8-pin mini-Din round plug? This same round port would be "Channel 0" on the MicroLogix 1400.

Are you connected to this round Channel 0 port on the MicroLogix 1400, and have you configured this port in RSLogix 500 to use the correct communications protocol? Again, usually DF1 or DH-485 protocol.

Between the messaging confusion so far, and the need to check the port configuration, I would advise you to upload here (attach) a copy of both original MicroLogix 1000 programs, if you can, and clearly state which one of the programs belongs to the original MicroLogix 1000 that has been replaced. You can Zip the RSS program files before uploading, choosing "zip" as the file type to attach.

I would also upload a copy of the new program for the MicroLogix 1400 so that folks here can assess what you have programmed and configured so far.

jacob0605 said:
...is that even possible?...

Most definitely, yes.

jacob0605 said:
...I have never used MSG blocks before and don't understand the basic....

You just need to bend your head around a few things here first. We point out the "things" and you bend the "head", OK?

Regards,
George

It's working now, thanks for the help and the replys!

The ML1000 didn't read the correct values in the ML1400, I changed the integer and it works now

jacob0605 said:
...I have never used MSG blocks before and don't understand the basic....

Under these circumstances, I would say you have done yourself proud.

I'd say it felt good once you figured it out?

And not too much "head bending", I hope! :)

Regards,
George