Mitsubishi PLC

Thanks Tim!

Looks like the DL-06 will take some extra wiring time. Tough choice to make. I have 3 choices..

1. Take up Littleones offer and then do a crash course on Mitsubishi to change what will likely be ONE contact.

2. Reverse enginer the program and install another PLC.

3. Add a few relays and try a hard wire workaround.

I think option 3 is the best in the long run but I'm not sure the customer wants to deal with the expense. So I guess I'll try for option 3 before going to option 2.

Thanks for your help.

BTW if anybody knows a link to the F2 manual it would be surly appreciated.

Mike.

Good news, I have a brochure and programming manual for the F2.
Bad news, it's in Japanese.
If you want specific information from either document, please let me know.

If you don't mind me asking, when is your deadline?

elevmike said:

BTW if anybody knows a link to the F2 manual it would be surly appreciated.

Mike.

Mitsu started to scan there manuals and transferring them to pdf just a few years back.

If you find any F2 manuals they will be like a Fax copy.

Good luck, but IF you dont find it, I can check in my old boxes 'cause there must be something like that around here.

I never trow away anything. My wife is not to happy about that :)

you're gonna need the F2-20GF1 as well as a PCX-KIT these are still available from Mitsubishi here in the states. Call your local Mitsu dist and they'll be able to help if they can't call Mitsu direct or post an update. the software you'll need is Medoc 2.30 I don't know of that 2.41 version you found on the Taiwan site and would be a little cautious. Just to clarify the F2-20GF1 plugs in to the top of the plc it has a 25 pin db port that the first cable of the PCK-KIT plugs in to then there is a 422 to 232 converter that has to be powered by a 5vdc (w/ ac adapter)this comes in the pcx-kit as well then the last cable is a 9 pin db for your pc

ushidayo said:
If you don't mind me asking, when is your deadline?

The customer really didnt indicate a deadline. The necessary change is very minor. I knew the guy who programmed the unit and am very familliar with his style. He cant be of any help because he's now deceased, and the company he was working for is out of busniess. The story is that the owner called me to make this change. I thought that I could do it via a hardwire change, and send him back a marked up print; but then I realized it may not work. Fortunatly I have the panel print. So I can ID what the I/O is and thus make the necessary program change. However in order to do that I need to drive about 750 (round trip) to do it..

I have to talk to the customer about his options, and make sure there arent any other changes that have already been made. Based on that then I'll let everybody here know whither or not were going to take them up on their generous offers...

One thing I'm concerned about is the EEprom cassette. I need to somehow confirm that the EEprom can be altered via the programmer or software, of if this requires a different programmer. My guess is that I'll be able to write to it via the sofware, but I hate to guess on this one since it'll be a two day trip.

Thanks very much!! Mike.

The ebay item, on the bottom of the page states that he will only ship this item inside the UK. :( (I wonder if former colonies count)

Anyway, between the many offers of assistance here I think I'll be covered. However I've done a workaround using a few relays and some hardwire changes. The local tech is going to check it out Monday. If it dosnt work out then I'll be contacting the people who made the offers.

I'll be sure to post the results, when I know for sure.

Till Monday....

Thanks to all..It's good to know that either way the issue will be resloved.

Mike.

Updae:

I found a hardwired workaround for 3 of the 4 changes they want to make, but the last issue does require a program change.

So now the customer is concerned about the existing potential for a failure of the current obsolete PLC and is wheighing the costs/benifit factors of replacement with a current model, or making the program change. Basicly the issue is like this: Spend $2,500.00+ for me to drive or fly and make a minor change to the program and still be left with an unreplaceable PLC; or Spend $5,000.00 and change it out with a new one.

So in short, we're on hold on this one for now.

Thanks Mike.

Or spend 5000 and have the possibility to make future changes 'remote' (modem etc.) = $???? profit for future changes.

Hope you can convince your customer, good luck

I posted a question on Mitsi F1 some time ago and it seems the whole thing is a bit of a nightmare. Mike's option 2 is what we have to go for, that's when the problems start. Anyone know anything about the stepladder function? If I have the code converted (with Medoc) to ladder can I just replace the state relays with flags? Don't mean to hijack this thread.

It depends Kenny

You have to remember that only the active state is scanned

This allows you to double coil (but even then, I never do)

IF state 20 was on - none of the other states are scanned at all

A state starts at
-----[ stl s20 ]

code

code

code

------[stl s30] etc

Only the code below stl s20 and before s30 is scanned

(and after the RET instruction)

Kenny,

Hijack away.. no offence taken.

Anyway, from my own perspective I'm not going to try to take the origional program and re-use it. The plan is to use my own code without even looking at the origional. I do have an advantage though.. I know exactly how the machine is supposed to work, I also have blocks of code that I can put togeather to form the program for this unit in a few hours. Personally I think I would be spending a lot more time trying to figure out how to convert the F2 code to some other PLC, then it would take me to do it from scratch.

Just my opinion (and situation)..