Mobile, Remote Monitoring solution

johnd_125

I have an application that involves a piece of equipment at a remote construction site. It has a Micrologix 1400, an HMI, and PF525 drive setting on an existing Ethernet IP network with a switch. There is no existing internet access.

I have been asked to come up with a solution where someone on their smart phone can monitor a level (0-100%). I'd also like to be able to have remote connecting capability for programming and troubleshooting purposes.

In my mind, I need:
VPN capability
Cellular modem and account for internet access
Some type of app, or web page that can be accessed to see this Level reading

Am I missing anything? Where is a good place to go for this, who can provide everything necessary, hardware and software?

I've looked at PRosoft. Are there others?

I have some experience using VPN's to gain remote access to PLC's but they were all set up by IT guys and they used their preferred adapters and of course they had internet access at their plants. Plus, I was only using the connection for programming purposes so I had the Rockwell Software necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Now You Can Have Robust Data Logging for Free
(PLC Program – Modbus TCP (VB6) – Access Database – Web Server)
Part 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 /12

I have done a complete series on this topic as mentioned above.
You can use AdvancedHMI as the data collection on the site and run the web server on the same PC.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/

This method would be the most flexible, but a little understanding of computer programming may be necessary. It is also mostly available free of charge.

Hope this helps you out to get started.
Regards,

www.e w o n.biz (take out the spaces), does what you want, no muss, no fuss. Go for the more expensive version and it can extract data and create a web page with a tank level. They have versions with inbuilt mobile modems or you can use an external modem. If you search here you will find loads of info.

Now You Can Have Robust Data Logging for Free
(PLC Program – Modbus TCP (VB6) – Access Database – Web Server)
Part 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 /12

I have done a complete series on this topic as mentioned above.
You can use AdvancedHMI as the data collection on the site and run the web server on the same PC.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/

This method would be the most flexible, but a little understanding of computer programming may be necessary. It is also mostly available free of charge.

Hope this helps you out to get started.
Regards,

This mentions VB6. Is that still available and does it run with post-XP windows?

I had a bunch of DLL related issues with VB6 ... in 2010 or so ... but things could have changed?