Moving / Installing Equipment Checklist

alive15

Good morning, I've been tasked with installing old equipment from another plant into our own plant in the coming months. I'm working on a checklist of what all I should be prepared for and looking at. These machines are already running production at the old plant, I just need to move them to my plant, install them, and start running parts through them. Could y'all please review the checklist I've created so far and add anything I may have missed, as this will be my first time. I'll be traveling up to that plant in a few weeks to look at the machines, so I'm trying to see what all I might need to look for. These machines are used to create camshafts. Any more advice and experience shared are appreciated. Thanks a million!
----------------------
Checklist

-electrical requirements
----FLA of machine, correct disconnects size, fuse size/ Circuit breaker size in ceiling
----correct power/voltage drops
----correct AWG gauge size of incoming wires, communication wires, etc.
----electrical prints
----spare parts

-pneumatic requirements
----air line drop location
----pressure required
----pneumatic prints
----spare parts

-coolant requirements
----pressure / amount required
----coolant prints

-hydraulic requirements
----pressure / amount required
----hyd. prints
----spare parts

-cell layout / mechanical
----create space for operators to move around
----create space for future robots, create different elec cabinet for Robot i/o
----create space for future conveyors if required
----enough room for chip collectors / chip bins / dust bins
----floor thickness requirement for each machine, do machines need extra support / slabs made / anchors
----appropriate cell fencing / robot fencing
----spare parts

-cycle times requirements (parts per shift with X amount of operators / setups)
----future increase / decrease in parts required
----how many setups / operators / shifts available that we want to run

-safety standards for each machine
----FMEA (failure mode + effects analysis)

-process guide / control plan
----step by step guide on what each machine does for each part.

-operator / setup / tech / maintenance / PM instructions + schedule

-preparation for delivery week
----see potential weather for that week
----can we unload ourselves or call in 3rd party to unload from truck and move into cell?
----make sure machines can fit in through the entry gate
----create route from entry gate to location inside plant

It looks like you have it mostly covered
I would recommend that you check for electrical plugs between sections, the original manufactures often build them in sections with plugs that are easy to dissemble and transport. Each section may have both power and control wiring plugs to allow them to be moved. Just unplug them and go.
Some years ago I had multiunit printing press a customer wanted hooked. The crew that dissembled it used a saw and cut all the wiring cables about 5 in from the plugs I had to spend days tracing all the wires.
If you can you should go back and supervise them dissemble of the machine it could save you a ton of time later.
Don’t forget to get whatever prints they have Electrical, Hydraulic, Pneumatic
Confirm the power requirements for the machine then be sure your plant has the ability to handle th additional load. it would be a shame to get the machine moved only to find out that you plant power can’t supply the additional load. I have run into that a few times.

I suggest you also do a cable schedule or survey as often things have been changed for example while disconnecting put labels on the old cables if re-using if not then definitely trace if possible because it can save a lot of time in the end, the drawings might not be that accurate, I have experienced that. Although this takes time it may in the end save time & possible destroyed equipment.

If at all possible, have the same people who will be installing and setting it up at the new location be the ones who disassemble, label, etc. from the old location. Like GaryS related, I have had to reassemble a machine from a pile of parts, cut cables, random wires, etc.

Thanks guys, this is really good info. Yeah, these machines are most likely old, so probably some extra wiring done that was not added to the electrical schematic. Could have been hand drawn in, so I'll take a look at that.

Any more tips and suggestions are welcome, thanks!

I don't know about your local regulations, but here the relocation of the equipment would require a Risk Assessment to be done in the new position.

Perhaps you know the equipment that is coming. I find it common for our company owner to purchase derelict auction equipment and then seems surprised when I tell him I need to buy from the OEM a program or rewrite a program and install hardware to accommodate the flashing red run light and the battery light on a 20 year old PLC.

Not sure exactly the type of equipment you are moving, so this might not be applicable.

If there is one or more PCs on the machine, move that in your own vehicle. If it is an older PC, then the hard drive may get damaged in shipment. Transporting that separate from the industrial equipment helps ensure it will run when you get it installed.

Make backup copies of any and all programmable or configurable devices (PCs, PLCs, HMIs, VFDs, Servo Drives, etc.)

I like the idea of making those who disassemble the machine responsible for the re-connection and run off in the new location. If that is a feasible option, you should investigate that.

If it is a heavy machine, make sure your parking lot can handle the rigging equipment / trailer(s). I have seen on more than one occasion where the parking lot buckled because it was designed for normal semi trucks and automobiles, but not the equipment used to move machinery. This was in Michigan at a (formerly known as) Big Three plant. The parking lot asphalt was being scooted along like loose carpeting because of the narrow, rigid wheels of the large rigging crane.

2 experiences:

1. Make sure every wire and cable is marked. Write a list of which cable goes in what hole and to which area of terminals.

2. Make sure each piece of the line is marked and a list/map of where they go.

Got bit by #1 too many times.

Got really bit by #2 when a hot press system was bought at auction. Their maintenance supervisor went to check it out and unwire it himself.
Unfortunately there were 2 very similar looking scissor lift stations for Load and Unload and he didn't mark which was which. When the system was fired up and they tried to load the first product the table at the unload started moving. Too many sensors and differences to swap the motor connections and a couple sensors so about half the system had to be disassembled, put in the parking lot, then swap the stations and reassemble.

I don't know about your local regulations, but here the relocation of the equipment would require a Risk Assessment to be done in the new position.
This !

I believe that in the US, the law doesnt state that you must follow the safety regulations (please correct me if I am wrong). Instead, the law is that in case there is an accident and someone gets hurt, then you can become personally liable if it is found that the machine you setup and released for use (*) and you havent done everything possible to prevent the accident from happening.
And that can mean economical ruin for you.

*: The finger will point at you. The 1st post shows that you have the all-encompassing task of moving the machine. Possibly also your boss and your company can be fined.

Backup everything at the old location before it is powered down. PLCs, HMIs, PCs, IPCs, safety controllers, everything.
If there is networking involved, make sure there is a documented and checked list of IPs, subnet masks, gateways and any kind of infrastructure weirdness(IE, the machine checks a time source @ the local site and then fails to work when moved).

If there are dongles attached for license(s), Document those and make sure they survive the move.

in case there is an accident and someone gets hurt, then you can become personally liable if it is found that the machine you setup and released for use (*) and you havent done everything possible to prevent the accident from happening.

How about handle paperwork transfer of a used machine in a crate you never see or actually have possession of, or was it even ever in the state you are in.

The purchaser opens it and assembles it themselves and kills an employee.

You have to travel across the US multiple times over 3 years, get a local lawyer on retainer and spend every dollar you have on travel and legal fees.

Knew a used machinery dealer that went through that exact scenario for a machine he never touched, wired, modified or gave any instructions to the purchaser about.

alive15,

several things to consider.

go to the plant and personally get a copy of the plc programs and store it on your laptop. make sure you get the comments, io information.
mark each plc with a sharpie and take lots of pictures of each line, from star to finish.
get a copy of all manuals, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, mechanical prints !!! they tend to disappear when jobs are being moved.
when the machinery is put into place, verify each and every wire! things get miswired, even though there was no reason to be in the panel.

james