moving into management

Fred Raud

a month or so back there was a post from some one concerning his current position being stagnant and contemplations on whether or not to get more education,,and i also saw suggestions in another post on learning more on the management end,,(essentially theres always something new to learn)

so being im in my early thirties,,im curious what books,,articles,,etc some would suggest for preparing to move up on the management end of this line of work,,ive seen talk on time management,,epmhasis on the importance of 'getting the job done',,etc,,

any ideas is much appreciated,,

Fred Raud

Fred Raud said:
so being im in my early thirties,,im curious what books,,articles,,etc some would suggest for preparing to move up on the management end of this line of work

Dilbert

"mediocrity aspires to administration".....I read that somewhere

There is a book about the 13 mistakes managers make. Find it, memorize it, put it to work daily.

Even non managers should read it. Unless you NEVER want to be a manager, IMO you should always try to work like one. Remember, you are always managing yourself. Do it like you are the boss, that way you demonstrate the skills to management, you learn what not to do to those you manage and when the time comes, you are ready for the position.

Too many times I have seen good performers get made managers or a lead and have no idea what it really takes to be a leader.

Many years ago I was promoted to a maintenance supervisor. The general manager came to visit and told me this:
"1-It is your job to supply the tools, time and information to your guys.
2-There is never enough time or money or people.
3-It is your(Me)job to make do with what we give you, that is what we pay you for.
4-Most important--take care of your guys and they will take care of you."
That is probably the most important advice I ever got. That has served me well as an employee and a business owner.

Must be in the Texas wind Fred! I'm in the same boat as you. I'm currently working on becoming the maintenance supervisor where I work. In my last place of employment I worked my way up to Supervisor and one of the best pieces of advice I could give you is never forget you once were "one of the guys" on the crew you now supervise. Be FAIR and FIRM with everyone and like gas said, they'll take care of you. Good luck!
icon14.gif