Msg error in micrologix 1400 modbus master

Justin92703

I am getting the following error when my msg is enabled: "modbus exception code 02 returned: illegal data address" any idea on what might be causing this? image.jpg

In the channel setup in my modbus slave device I have 9 in the holding register setting with a node address of 20. I am moving all of my inputs/ output into n9:200 with a length of 6.

The target device got the request but is sending back "I don't have that address you asked for." Check the 'MB Data address'. Make sure that N9 in the target device is big enough. Add a few to the size just to be sure. Maybe at least to N9:220 or so.

Last edited:
Thanks Bernie. I will give that a try later this afternoon. I would also like to add that I am doing the same msg for another node running basically the same program. Everything is moved n9:200 length of 6. So it seems like I may have something wrong in my n9: file.