Multiple Language Support on PV+

brianjdavis

I have several applications coming up in Mexico and Brazil. We are currently anticipating switching to the Panelview Plus. On the surface it does not appear that the PV+ supports multiple languages quite as easily as the standard Panelview line does with th @Write_currentlang system variable. Has any one had the same experience or come across any easy way to switch back and forth between multiple languages on the same Panelview +? Right now I am thinking about 2 seperate applications and using a third app to run macros to switch between the two different programs each running in a different language.

Thanks,
Brian

The PV+ has macros in it's programming to handle this. You have to set up all the different strings of text, (that you want translated), as string variables and then use the macros to shove values, or text, into those variables. You can use a button to called the different macros. You will need a macro for each different language. You are limited to four as best I can tell. Check out the macro section of the RSView ME programming manual.

Thanks Cleaner,

I had kind of thought of the macros but not in that way. I kind of glossed over that section when I was reading manual.

Brian

Brian,

I've done many projects in Mexico at this point with the PV+. The first one we did with the PV+ we used macros and found that it worked OK but was a difficult to work with because when you are programming your objects, the text will just show ####### characters. Once you test your program and/or download, then, you will be able to see how the format of your text looks. I think you'll find that you will continually have to go back and forth (testing and retesting) until your text is formatted the way you like it. There is a knowledge base document which gives a great example.

I personally found this to be a pain, so now I just duplicate my screens (one for English and the other in Spanish) with the Main screen having a selector button for English or Spanish from which point you keep your screen selector buttons/objects within its respective language.

This obviously uses twice the amount of memory but I have found that even with my large projects, I have not come close to using all of the memory of the new PV+ line.

Regards,
Chris