New application, ASCII output...hey Bernie Carlton!!!

Hi Guys and the master Bernie :D

I need more advice….I know very little about ASCII transmission via RS-232

I am considering purchasing this electronic display

These are some of the listed features,

·A 4-digit serial data interface display receives RS232 or RS422/485 data and displays it.
·Features a floating decimal point.
·Data protocol: 8 data bits, 1 stop bit & no parity.
·Field-selectable baud rate that is factory set to 1200. Five selectable baud rates.
·Easily connect dozens of displays in a multi-drop network
·A 6,8,10 or 12 digit serial data interface display receives RS232 or RS422/485 data and displays it.
·Data string (ASCII) protocol: <2-digit address> <6-12 digit data, optional decimal point>
·Field-selectable address factory set to 01 for one display and in sequence for multiple displays

I will be using a DL06 and reconfiguring Com port 1 (4-46 in the manual) then configuring a Non-Sequence protocol output (4-50) to the display via the rs-232

I thought of using the Ethernet but the 232 seems like it may be easier, it’s about 15ft away, so the distance should not be a big deal.

But before I spend 500.00ish, do you think it will work? would the Ethernet be better? Should I not us a Non-Sequence protocol?

I already have the DL06 and its on the Ethernet

Many thanks

If all your looking to do is play around with ASCII strings then I would use a PC and run hyperterminal or even get a smaller display (and more cost effective).

Only port 2 can be used in this manner. Otherwise your plan should work. The instructions on 4-50 concerning Non-Sequenced protocol gives you most of the information. The PRINT instruction will probably give you all the power you need for pure number output. But if you feel creative the VPRINT followed by the PRINTV commands give you more flexability with more complex messages.

bernie_carlton said:
...The PRINT instruction will probably give you all the power you need for pure number output....

Worked great!, thanks Bernie

Just in case anyone else is looking to do this, this may save you a little (or a lot) of time

I used the PRINT like Bernie said and the string is/was "$0200" VXXXX:B "$03"

{"$02"} STX
{00} address of the display
{VXXXX} this is the address mine V1200 also V20:B for a test
{:B} 4 digit BCD diplay
{"$03"} ETX

Thanks again :D

I used the VPRINT and PRINTV instructions to create strings to write information into an Excel-like cell structure of a vision system. I was doubtful at the start but it worked in the end. These are very powerful instructions.