New Versamax set IP

brredden

Hello,

I have an unused IC200CPUE05 Versamax PLC which I assume to be completely default settings.

I'm trying to set an IP and download config/logic to replace a damaged PLC in the field.

I've read old threads and followed those directions (USB serial adapters, connecting to port 1 with serial cable, using Set Temporary IP Tool in PME) and none of those gets me connected to the PLC.

I have:

Windows 10 running PME 9.5
A serial connection on COM1 and COM2, an ethernet interface configured for our control network, and a SerialGear USB serial adapter which Device Manager tells me is on COM23
A new IC200CPUE05-LT and a 120v IC200PWR102, no other cards/carriers connected for setup

When I power up the PLC, I get a solid green light on PWR, OK and RUN. And without any com cable connected, I get a blinking green light on STAT next to the embedded ethernet port.

If I connect an ethernet cable directly from the pc to the PLC ethernet port, I get a solid green light on LAN and STAT continues to blink green. If I go to Utilities-->Set Temporary IP Address in PME, enter the MAC 000991610704 and IP I'd like to use, I'm prompted to acknowledge the process will take 30-45 seconds to complete, then I'm twice prompted to allow Windows Command Processor to make changes to the pc, 15 seconds elapse and I'm told the connection attempt timed out.

If I connect a serial cable directly from COM1 on the pc to Port 1, the RS232 port, on the PLC, the Port 1 light does not turn on (I'd expect it to be green), and if I click the Target in the project file and change the Physical Port to COM1 (or COM2 just for good measure) then click connect, connection goes through 10 attempts before timing out.

If I connect a serial cable to Port 1 and use an adapter to connect to the pc via USB port (COM23), change the Physical Port in the project file, and click connect, I get intermittent blinks on Tx on the adapter, but connection attempts time out.

I've also tried holding the Ethernet Restart button down until the Port 1 light beside the ethernet interface turns orange, and used a serial cable straight through and with the adapter to USB, but connection still times out. And honestly I don't know what that orange light means. I assumed it meant I was forcing Port 1 to be active.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

First, the temporary IP address tool included with Proficy does not work with the VersaMax CPU. It only works with the Rx series.
If I connect a serial cable directly from COM1 on the pc to Port 1, the RS232 port, on the PLC, the Port 1 light does not turn on (I'd expect it to be green)
The "Port x" LEDs on the CPU module will blink when there is traffic on the serial port, but they never turn solid green.
If I connect a serial cable to Port 1 and use an adapter to connect to the pc via USB port (COM23), change the Physical Port in the project file, and click connect, I get intermittent blinks on Tx on the adapter, but connection attempts time out.
If the cable connections are correct, when you see the blink on the Tx LED of your USB/serial converter you should also see a blink on the Port LED of the PLC. If you are seeing the PLC's port LED blink there is probably a mismatch in the port settings. If you don't see the PLC's port LED blink, the problem is most likely in the serial cable between the adaptor and the PLC port.

Thanks for the reply Steve.

I have an adapter with configurable dip switches. I've made sure they are set for RS-232. (On the particular device, dip switch 1 off, 2, 3, 4 on.) I use the same cable and adapter to talk to CH VFDs.

Looking at it again, when I get Tx on the adapter to blink, the Port 1 LED at the controller comes on and blinks slowly and appears random. Still can't connect. Can you expound on what you mean by "mismatch in the port settings"?

I have 2 PLCs side by side and the same problems are occurring with both so I have no doubt this is operator error on my part. I just can't imagine setting an IP is this difficult. Where's BOOTP when I need it?

Which port on the PLC are you trying to use? Port 1, the 9-pin is RS232. Port 2, the 15-pin is RS485.
Both ports default to SNP protocol 19200 boud odd parity 1 stop bit although the settings can be changed in the PLC's hardware configuration.

The cable between the 9-pin on the PLC and the 9-pin on the adapter should be 2-3, 3-2, 5-5.
The "Physical Port" item for the PLC target in Proficy's Inspector window should be COM23. Right below that setting in the Inspector window should be the "Additional Configuration" item where you set the port parameters for COM23. They should be 19200 baud, odd parity, 1 stop bit. It is possible that the original programmer set them to something else in the PLC's hardware configuration. If so, you'll have to try all the permutations.

Right below that setting in the Inspector window should be the "Additional Configuration" item where you set the port parameters for COM23. They should be 19200 baud, odd parity, 1 stop bit. It is possible that the original programmer set them to something else in the PLC's hardware configuration...

Yessir. Parity had been changed to None in the project file I was using. Changed to Odd to match my pc COM port setting and I got connected, able to download, now equal for HW/logic, and able to connect over ethernet.

Thanks a lot sir. I honestly appreciate your help.