Newbie needs Help (RS Logix 5000)

nenz

Hi all,
Please can someone help me? I am new to programing and stuck on a task.
I am working on RS LOGIX 5000 with a compact logix 5370 controller type. I am trying to use compact flash to save and load “variable values” to a common PLC program. These values shall be changed when needed using the compact flash. It looks like this is possible from my research using the compact flash but the controller I am using only has an SD card.
So my first question, can it be done using the SD card?
I have been looking through the “CompactFlash File System on Logix5000 Controllers” document and have sample files to help me implement this.
•CF_Read_Write_V3_2.ACD
•CF_Read_Write_V3_2_Example.ACD
Am I looking through the right documents and on the right tracks? Please can someone explain or direct me towards the right tracks, i.e. relevant documents or videos to help me achieve this?
Thanks for all your help in advance J
Kind Regards
Nenz the newbie

Welcome to the Forum !

This is an advanced feature in CompactLogix and not really appropriate for a novice, but you're on the right track.

The CompactFlash and Secure Digital filesystems are identical from the controller's perspective. As far as I know, anything written to work with CompactFlash will also work with SD cards.

There is also a Programming Manual that supplements those examples, available from the RA Literature Library.

Logix 5000 Controllers Nonvolatile Memory Programming Manual, Publication 1756-PM017.

Direct link to PDF:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm017_-en-p.pdf

Thanks Ken Roach

do you think you can shed some light on how this is achieved? it seems to me that all the work has been done in the example files. i am under the impression that i can save the example files on the SD card and only need to edit specific bits in a tag that has been created by the example file.

do you know of any videos that can help with this?

thanks again