nobody speaks SCHNEIDER

Well I missed this thread the first teo times through...

My experience with Modicon:

Quantum, very powerful, super reliable, though I hate 984LL with a passion, especially in the extremely limited functions of the Momentum.

I have noticed theres plenty of old 984 CPUs out there too, even an old 484 chugging away at a Mag plant here.

Premium I do like, we seem to be bumping into alot of 984 Compact replacement jobs and Premium is the logical progression:
Its not stupidly expensive, is about the same footprint etc.

Unity once you learn the quirks is probably up there with the rest of the new IEC generation of software releases.

Now for my big beef!

Marketing and tech support:

NON EXISTANT!!!

We knew more than the tech support guys most of the time. We gave up even calling them and just hammered away until it worked how we wanted. I sat their marketing guys down and explained why AB and Siemens were beating the tar out of em locally.
It doesnt seem to have done much good.
The software is still wayyy too expensive and the Solutions Provider program is a joke.

We suck it up and deal with all this so we can support some of our good customers that have an existing Modicon installed base but even they are now looking at converting to AB or Siemens.

Now for an additional "two cents" well after the fact...

Schneider is a non-entity these days, at least here in the Chicago area. As for ease of use, cost effectivness, power and flexibility, I would have to say that Beckhoff Automation and their TwinCAT software is by far the best solution on the market today for almost any automation application.

The implementation of IEC 61131-3 is second to none and is as close to full compliance as I found to date in a programming package. And the motion capabilities are are absolutely outstanding.

Schneider has fallen by the wayside and Rockwell is not far behind!!