Noobie PV 1500 firmware questions. Gurus Welcomed!!

gr8benwa

Scope:
1:Modify logic to allow automation of 4 new grain bins to existing grain leg system automated by 1769-l32e/a compactlogix controller v16.
2: Modify Panelview 1500 hmi "GRAIN.MER" display "BinSelect" by adding 4 push buttons to screen which allow operator the ability to select the new grain bins.
======================================================
Ok I already have what I thought would be the hard part done, integrating the 4 new bins into the logic. (motors, gates, conveyors, contact switches, and so on.)

What I thought would be the easy part was adding 4 buttons to a HMI screen! LOL!

Here is the skinny.

The original .mer was created with rsview 4.0 (or 4.1?) and I have rsview 5.1.
I loaded the (4.?) .mer into my 5.1 and added the push buttons.

ok so far so good.

Now I obviously need to update the pv1500 firmware to 5.1

Questions:

1- are there any problems that you may be aware of that I should be concerned about with what I have done and am about to do? (converting .mer file to 5.1 and then also plan to update firmware to 5.1 on hmi)

2- I see that I can do the FW update using my RSview studio 5.1 but have 2 questions.

2A: I see 2 options for selecting the device -panelview 1500 and panelview 1500 CE. I do not know which to pick. How do I know if the panel is a CE version or not?

2B: Once the correct device is selected, I see the browse button to access the FW update file. My Firmware folder is empty. I was hoping that RSview studio would have the file in the folder or a way to generate one. How and where can I get this FW update?

***BONUS QUESTION***
I do not have access to Rockwells database because I am using RsView ME studio v5.1 trial software on my 32bit workstation.

Am I screwed? :confused:

Thanks!!!!!!

Last edited:
dang no replies yet. I was suppose to have this project done today o_O

gave the customer a thumbs up yesterday after I tested the new logic using branched 120v digital inputs and everything worked fine. didnt expect the 4 push buttons on the HMI to set me back.

when I explained the problem to customer, they were not so happy and frowned on messing with the firmware of the HMI as a work around. UGHHH! I wish I knew someone who could just add 4 push buttons on one screen using the rsview studio that doesnt need a fw update then I could download it early monday morning and make the customer happy.

You need a support contract or a recent software purchase to be eligible for a firmware upgrade.

Fortunately, FactoryTalk View Studio ME can create runtime files for older firmware terminals.

When you create the *.MER file, select version 4.10 and the file can be loaded and run on your existing terminal.

holy cow I didnt know it could create older runtime versions!!! I never thought to see what would happen if I used the "save as" file drop down !! thank you!!!!!!!