'Old School' Omron Guys...

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
You know who you are... ;)

My customer has an old cartoner run by an Omron S6 (3G2S6-CPU15), with two ID-411 input modules, and two OC-221 output modules. Still working!... (y)

These are the PLCs I started with, and I know I still have my PRO16 programming console around somewhere, but haven't found it yet... :(

I did find some other fun stuff though: A PRO15 and PRO27 console, and even an S3D-P (and manual!) for the little S3 PLCs... :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, the customer wants to 'upgrade' the machine to a CLX (I will convince them a ML is sufficient), so I would love to get the existing program out of the ol' S6.

I haven't finished digging, but in the event I don't find my programming console, I just wanted to see if anyone here still has one I could borrow. I would cover shipping. There are a few on eBay, but I can't justify buying one for this single job.

🍻

-Eric

'Old School' Omron Guys..

Here, here! But in Ozz. No gear for them these days though.

My customer has an old cartoner run by an Omron S6 (3G2S6-CPU15), with two ID-411 input modules, and two OC-221 output modules. Still working!...

I find that hard to believe - a testament to how tough the old ones were?

I find that hard to believe - a testament to how tough the old ones were?
With relay outputs, no less! The machine looks 'well-used', but I don't know how many actual cycles are on it. My customer is a used equipment dealer, and they had this one in storage. Dusted it off, plugged it in, and it works. Relays might not be original. I'll dissect it after the conversion. I remember that the entire guts can be easily removed from the front, but I don't remember if the S6s had plug-in relays like the C-Series.

Still haven't found my handheld, but I know it's around here somewhere... :unsure:

🍻

-Eric

.... a testament to how tough the old ones were?

I realize the PLC-5 isn't by any means THAT ancient however, I have one that has been running a CVD operation for over 22 years and it gives me less trouble than any of the newer ones. What I can't show is the layers of powder that have accumulated on the chassis over the years and the darned thing still doesn't skip a beat.

Just to follow up, PLCs.net member bluebyu was kind enough to loan me his PRO16 console... :site:

I successfully documented the program today, so I'm all set... (y)

Attached is a quick picture of the PLC (yes, in RUN mode!). Sadly, it will soon be replaced by a ML1400. I wonder if the ML will survive as long as this ol' S6 did?

🍻

-Eric

OmronS6.jpg