Opening an Old TIA PORTAL project with a different service pack

paredeso

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All,

If i have the original project for TIA Portal V13sp1.
the SoftPLC is running in V13sp1 in a 1515sp Win7 industrial PC.
I was not able to open the project until the laptop had V13SP2 (probably because v13sp1 support only up to win8.1)
Now I can open the project and get online with the PLC.
I need to modify just the LOCAL time for the PLC system clock.

I just Upload to the laptop the current program in the PLC.
I made the chance to the right time zone. So, I'm ready to download to the PLC

then I stopped ... I'm not running win7 and my version is v13sp2.

1. Is the PLC going to accept the change without problems?
  2. Can it stop working?
  3. Is the new program going to be SP2? or will keep it soul as sp1.

This is a machine in a Pharma Ind. Environment so any slight change must be documented and validated. no room for experimentation ;)

LocalTime.jpg

Last edited:
you can set the time as an online behavior with no other impact (time change can definitely affect logging, alarms, etc).

Changing the time zone requires a HW download, which will briefly stop the PLC. The DL window will warn you first though, many of the notes are warnings/info, but it forces you to acknowledge stopping the PLC.

I've never tried opening a v13sp1 project in V13 sp2. When you opened it, did it ask you to upgrade the project? If yes, something changed.

If you have to use v13 (seems to be the case) and you use sp2, I would recommend going up to SP9 which is the last SP for v13 but it is solid.
Especially if you have to make any changes from SP1 to SP2, not worth the effort.
Just straight to SP9 and you should avoid a lot of headaches!
That is IF the hardware is ok with it.
Just my thoughts.
Hope you get this going regardless.

If you have to use v13 (seems to be the case) and you use sp2, I would recommend going up to SP9 which is the last SP for v13 but it is solid.
Especially if you have to make any changes from SP1 to SP2, not worth the effort.
Just straight to SP9 and you should avoid a lot of headaches!
That is IF the hardware is ok with it.
Just my thoughts.
Hope you get this going regardless.

V13 SP2 is as high as it goes, to the best of my knowledge. There is an update 4 available for it, which is recommended.

Really curious for a link to V13 SP9?

MK42: No it did not asked for update.

bk: first I install just sp1 and try open the project. for some reason the 1500 motion was not installed.
then I installed update 9 for v13sp1 ... project still complaining about motion package.
also by this time also i learn that the project file also required WinCC and StartDrive... I Installed them ... no luck ...
Then i move to start installing SP2 then WinCC complain that it required .net 3.5
so long story short after working trough the errors from incopatibility between packages and errors tryng to open the Project file finally i uninstall everything and reinstall all packages required sp2 i did not apply no update 4 yet. Finally the project open and i stop there. I did not want loose the progress.

this whole issue with the clocks is that something happened during a shutdown with state of the clocks, where the report of a batch pulls the correct time in the summary but the details of the run (temp data points) shows the PLC time that is skew 8hrs due to the wrong time zone in the original configuration (that is my guess anyway)

V13 SP2 is as high as it goes, to the best of my knowledge. There is an update 4 available for it, which is recommended.

Really curious for a link to V13 SP9?
Don't hold your breath, I messed up as usual.
I meant Upd 9 as in update not a service pack.

TIA v13 SP1 Upd9 has been solid for me.

I found out that if you are about to use a newer version/update of sorts to go with the last release as at some point if anything needs to be changed at least you're up to date with the said version.

Apologies for the confusion.

Last edited:
Update:
Always question if the documentation has been updated.šŸ™ƒ

I totally forgot to double check the project that the manufacturer provided. turn out that it was SP2 that is why I was able to open it.