OT: Space Shuttle Grounded?

akreel

[Talkstar]
So, I heard a rumbling that they could ground the Space Shuttle again. Some foam broke loose on lift off again. I haven't checked the NASA web site yet, but this got me wondering.

What's the next move? The Shuttle's way beyond its design life. What's the likelyhood of something new?

Do we give up human space travel or start hitching rides with the Russians (Chinese?)?

Could we stock the space station for in-flight repair? Probably not, that's a lot of material to have on hand. Not to mention, you'd need a pod on board to take to to the shuttle if it were in some other orbit. But, this would be so cool because it would be a major step toward the Sci-fi space-dwelling future that we've all grown to expect from watching Star Trek.
[/Talkstar]

AK

I think if I were going up in one of the shuttles I would pack a few extra pieces of the insulation material in my suitcase. I do agree that the shuttles have probably outlived thier expected lives, but then again so have many of the commercial airlines that take flight every day.

akreel,

I personally think it is time to discontinue the space program. I once saw a graph showing how much energy it takes to escape Earth's gravity field. Unless someone discovers a way around the Law of Gravity, the space program is doomed to continue where it is now.

The President should redirect NASA to find a solution for rising temperatures. I know, there is disagreement about "global warming". I don't know what is causing it, but only in my short lifetime, the climate has became hotter. If NASA was challenged, the way John F. Kennedy challenged them in 1962, to find a way to stop the rising temperatures in 10 years, then I think we would see some results.

From what i have read they did take a "Band aid" kit aboard with them..Also dont forget this "Band aid" is theretical becouse its never been tested..I also read they didnt think it was bad enough to use..(I guess they will find out on re-entry).
It amazes me that they just spent a billion dollers in the last two years to "Fix" the problem..(Sounds like my mechanic!!!)

As was mentiond on the radio here today...They sent how many apolo missions with 60's technology and are now having problems with (I guess) 80's technology..

In there defence i know why the technolgy dosnt change..It becouse of testing..They do use the maxim if it aint broke dont fix it.. I guess the Nuclear plants around here use the same stuff they did in the 80's two?

I hope This dosnt ground space flight for good.. I think it is money well spent..It encourges us to go above and beond our imagination..

my 2c

D

Lancie1 said:
akreel,

I personally think it is time to discontinue the space program. I once saw a graph showing how much energy it takes to escape Earth's gravity field. Unless someone discovers a way around the Law of Gravity, the space program is doomed to continue where it is now.

The President should redirect NASA to find a solution for rising temperatures. I know, there is disagreement about "global warming". I don't know what is causing it, but only in my short lifetime, the climate has became hotter. If NASA was challenged, the way John F. Kennedy challenged them in 1962, to find a way to stop the rising temperatures in 10 years, then I think we would see some results.

While i dont agree completely..you do make an intersting point..A billion dollars would go along way with global warming..(Not that i dont like global warming in the middle of winter!!)

Unfortunately, NASA cut the shuttle replacement program a couple years ago, thinking they could use the money better in other areas. Then, Columbia broke up, and they have to reconsider retiring the fleet. Guess they should have looked to the future a little more before scrapping the development program. Hopefully, they didn't throw the files out. :confused:

I personally think they should hand over parts of the programs to commercial companies. Look what the X Prize and Rutan did with SpaceShipOne. Throw a quarter of the money at it they would spend on contractors, consultants and the like, and see what they can do.

Last edited:
darrenj said:
While i dont agree completely..you do make an intersting point..A billion dollars would go along way with global warming..(Not that i dont like global warming in the middle of winter!!)
I don't want to hijack the thread with a global warming debate. But, it would seem to me that space travel would be a requirement for sorting out the "problem."

To study the atmosphere and the sun (let's all remember the sun's roll in warming the earth), it REALLY helps to get above the planet.

I don't envy NASA, they perform a noble service that costs a LOT of money and the results are often overlooked. The average lay-person couldn't care less about some of the experiments they do. I don't see the value some times. Funny, many of the same people dream of going to Mars some day.

AK

I have to say that I hold those guys at Nasa in pretty high regards.
Yes there has been some tragedies, but the accomplishments are mind boggling.
I mean let's see you design something to come in at 26,000 MPH and then blast it off into space again.

I think that we have to do things like explore space in order to force advancements.

I believe that the Apollo program lead to advancements in computer technologies, as well as other things.
It's really hard to measure how the "Space race" neccessities developed into everyday human advancements.

Until Scientists have irrefutable proof of global warming, you are not gonna get taxpayers to pony up money to study ways to reduce it.

Now spending money on reducing global warming will also have peripheral affects that will help the future too.(and maybe save the planet)
But come on! Space is so much sexier.

I wonder if there are any PLC's on the I.S.S.?

akreel,

Don't get me wrong. NASA has made some great discoveries and advancements, but most of those are in the past. They spend a great part of their budget in publlic education, that is to educate the public about how important NASA is. It is no surprise to hear from you that it is working.

I worked for NASA at one time. I know a lot about how it works. Here is one quick example. One of my relatives is an Engineer at NASA, $100,000+ salary range. Not long ago I asked him, "What did you do out at NASA today?" He replied, "Oh, the usual. I showed a 3rd Grade class from xxxx School around the facility. They really showed a lot of interest in our programs!" In other words, he works as a tour guide.

Space can be explored in many different ways. Telescopes, for example, have made more discoveries in space than all of the NASA shuttles. It is interesting to me that "exploring space" must be done to make advancements in science. That idea came from a NASA PR program in the mid-sixties. It is still working.

NASA resembles a lot of Government agencies. The work is done by private contractors, such as Boeing. That is where the real genius and abilities reside. NASA takes the credit for the successes, and when there is a failure, the blame is spread out so thin that no heads roll.

Last edited:
What NASA needs to learn to keep the foam on the tank:

44382228.jpg

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Ok guys, the real answer here is the SPACE ELEVATOR. I'm wokin' on it...it's on the list right behind the PLC roulette thing and the go-cart......

Lancie,

NASA's not a stream-lined megacorporation to be sure! They're a public entity, and they hemorrhage money like one. They also hire a lot of PHD's and pay PHD prices. They need to keep those people busy or lay them off! Your relative should've been looking for a MCJob rather than touring the public education system. That's what your low-rent PR people are supposed to do!

We need manpower in space. Those satellites don't service themselves. Do you use a GPS? Watch TV? Check the weather? Use a cell phone, or even a land-line? Do you use the INTERNET? We've got satellites that make all of that much easier. We also have satellite telescopes that can get us outside the noise and interference on the ground.

We could "repair" our satellites by crashing them to earth and launching replacements. That would be pretty expensive, though.

AK

Alaric,

A roll of duct tape has been standard issue on NASA flights since Apollo. If it werent for duct tape Apollo 13 might not have made it back..