OT: US Market Job Search Tips

I am a brand new immigrant and it is a tough market out there.

When I got here, I was an F1 student doing a masters in Electrical and Computer Engineering. I visited a couple of job fairs organized by the university.

Question number 1, after hearing my weird accent. Do you have work authorization?
Big, popular companies do sponsor H1 work visa, but generally don't want to, since it costs them money and there are plenty of "domestic" applicants.
Smaller companies, often cannot afford it. Either the time or money.

Classmates that landed the best jobs, actually got hired abroad and are being placed in the USA. Companies like Schlumberger, Halliburton, NOW etc etc are wide spread.

A younger friend of mine, that finished his Bachelors in EE, could not find a job. Granted, he was probably not doing a very good "job" at looking for one, but he was struggling. He ended up signing into the US Army. (Yes you can actually sign up as a foreigner in exchange for citizenship).

All in all. Your best bet may be to try to find a Russian employer, that places you in the States. This might give you time to look for something more fitting.

If you have visa or authorization, don't be picky. Take that job nobody wants and grow from there.

Myself, I am a green card holder now, through marriage, and am eligible to apply for citizenship in about a year. I started my own company, and am contracted by my previous employer (from Norway).

In any case, good luck!

TalktotheHand, where in MI do you live? I was born in Detroit but lived in White Hall to Silver Lake (still a lot of family there) until we moved to CA, its is a very nice area for a couple months out of the year.... in Arizona they have retired people called snowbirds, someday soon thats going to be me, driving around chasing the nice weather 🍺

I'm currently in the Grand Rapids area.