How's the job market where you live?

To start with, I can confirm that demand in MI for controls engineers is way above the supply, and this is doubly true of engineers with Siemens experience. I think many experienced people left/retired/moved on when the local automotive market had a couple bad years. Now business is booming, and everyone is trying to fill positions that had been laid off 5 years ago.

I think a lot of the rest of the issues discussed are related to a disconnect in understanding regarding degrees. Most companies look to degrees as a replacement for job training, and that is completely different from the colleges intention. I'm not saying that one side is right or wrong, but anyone looking at someone with a just 4 year degree and expecting that new employee to start out fully competent is not going to be satisfied.

My mechanical engineering degree prepared me to do a lot of things. It taught me a whole lot of theory, and included almost no practice applying that theory to real life. Fluid dynamics taught me how to model and design a pump system, but it didn't teach me about different kinds of pumps, and why I would use one over another. Thermodynamics taught me how to calculate how much cooling a building needs for a given heat load, but not how to install an Air Conditioner. My machining course taught me how to calculate the stress on a tool in a mill or a lathe, but only covered the barest basics of G-code. The engineering degree taught me how to use math as a design tool. The degree gave me the background, and expected that if I needed to apply it later, I would A) have a senior engineer at first to guide me and B) be smart enough to figure it out.

It also assumed, C) I would have a technician on hand to actually get his hands dirty for me. I empathize with Jeff Kiper's EE that thought the motor start stop circuit was the electricians job. That's how, in college, things are broken down. And, in most industries, they follow the same rule. A civil engineer designs a bridge, but he does not build it. A mechanical engineer models the airflow over a car, but does not fabricate anything except models. A controls engineer who doesn't get his hands dirty, on the other hand, is a joke.

Someone else in this thread made the observation that it is hard to find an Automation Engineering degree, and that is true to an extent. The reason is that a lot of the skills needed, at least at the university I went to, are part of the Engineering Technology curriculum. Engineering degrees were all about using math and theory to design things. The Technology degrees were about applying tools that other people have created. Unfortunately, the program was smaller because it had a stigma as a lesser degree for dumber people. That stigma, and the stigma sometimes associated with a trade school vs a 4 year degree, really prevent employers from hiring the employees they want.

I think it would be wrong to say that people with 4 year engineering degrees are smarter, but I do find that most smart people who want to do something techy are currently afraid to get any degree other than a 4 year engineering degree. It is more of a rite of passage in many cases than a helpful tool. They get the degree because it is a required checkbox on job applications, and it rarely occurred to them that another path might be equally valid. The best controls "engineer" I've worked with had a history degree, and he had quite a struggle to get some people to respect him because of that.

I really think that automation and IT have a lot in common. Many IT professionals get a CS degree, and there is an uproar in that industry that CS degree programs need to change their focus. In reality, companies need to recruit from trade and technology programs.

Without a doubt, our industry does need some engineers. Many process automation users like oil refiners have complex system and control models that they constantly verify and refine. On this forum, I've seen Peter Nachtwey (sorry if I botched the spelling, I'm writing this rant on a mobile device) dive into motion equations of kinematics, and it sounds like he designs motion controllers. Without him and his peers, we wouldn't have relatively easy to control robots, CNC's, etc. We have engineers constantly making newer and faster Ethernet and wifi systems, making more efficient use of the existing bandwidth. Many machine builders actually need MORE engineers than they currently have, to do "proper" machine design and sizing, so that less mechanical issues are expected to be fixed in software.

But most of us are "just" technologists. We use the tools others have developed, and integrate them to do something else. We need to be smart, but it's often a different kind of smart than the math-smart engineering schools teach. We need to be able to see the bigger picture, and know a little bit about a 100 different things.

I guess the point of this long rant is that our industry, and many others, need to focus way less on traditional engineering degrees in hiring. Technology and trade backgrounds will often have more realistic expectations and experience. Really advanced math is often an unused skill set in our industry, and that's really most of what I learned in college. I've used my TI-89 only twice in the 6 years since college, and I kinda miss it.

Where I live most factories have closed. Those that are left say they cannot find the right skilled engineering workers.

I say this is BS... they don't want to pay more to attract people from the local completion is their main problem in recruiting.

As a workaround they have dropped requirements like "apprentice served" or just given people with house wiring or car mechanic backgrounds a 'chance' to see if they can get upto speed in what the factory requires hem to be able to do

Manufacturing/Factories don't usually value "engineers" highly enough

I don't have a degree but must last 2 positions stated them as a requirment

I wanted to hire a guy that could help with controls and wouldn't think building control panels was below them. I interviewed 2 guys out of a EE and neither one of them could design a motor start stop circuit. One of them told me that is what electricians do. He handles high level controls and he could calculate the magnetic field around motor. I explained to him that calculating the magnetic field wasn't useful unless you could start the motor and make it run.

I hired a young man just out of high school what wants to learn. I realized that I really enjoy teaching this young man.

let me know if your interested in anyone else haha. :site:

I've been doing controls stuff for my company (not my main responsibility) and would love a job where I get to focus and actually develop new skills. They said they were going to "reassign" me to programming but don't have a replacement for my current position.

Last edited:
i have been reading all the thread and i have some question

where i have been working i had the task to install a plc and write the code for a machine, this machine program was basic.

so i went and see the machine and from i was learned at university i was able to tell the machine has pneumatic and hydraulic valves, that it had a motor drive, etc

i knew only basic stuff about mechanical, and electrical.

the only thing i was sure i was able to understand was the writing of the code , the wiring i had an idea but not quite sure about it

so my chief do the wiring and also fixed the mechanical sensors switches.

so what the industries need is people who is no just able to write plc code but who also are able to do mechanical and electrical design?

to be able fix mechanical and electrical problems?

also when you people refer to do control do you mean knowing all about sensor, plc , intelligent relays , hmi ,
what do you mean as control?

Last edited:
That's one of the things I've heard about BSEEs. They're educated and trained to design and build chips and circuitboards, but tell a recent graduate to design a panel or write a PLC program with analog IO and they'll be clueless.

Obviously having the background information about electronics and electricity is useful, but too many employers think a BSEE means you're a fully trained controls/automation engineer ready to hit the ground running without any training and that just isn't so.

I worked with a young EE who seemed really sharp, and most of the time, he was. One time, he was tasked with updating a 50HP motor starter to get rid of the 460vac control wiring and contactor coil.

For almost two weeks, I don't see much of him but then I get the tap on the shoulder, "Hey go get that vacuum pump running so we can get a leak fixed on another...Find out what he has been doing on this thing for 9 days."

So he and I go together and I open up the narrow enclosure, just a start stop button and one motor starter, and I find the new guy picked a control transformer that was about 2/3 the physical size of the big contactor coil he was trying to pull in... I am not sure what specification he miscalculated there, but a meter on peak low hold showed us 38vac with the start button held in and a little hum from the coil but no motion. He could thumb it in and it would jump up to 105vac and seal in, so he went in circles trying to figure this out for over a week, a degreed EE, never put a voltmeter on the new control transformer while loading it.

Another green ME was caught gawking in wonder and amazement while a maintenance tech drilled and tapped threaded holes in a part he was fabbing. He had always wondered how that was done but had never seen holes drilled and tapped.

How do you get to be a ME and never see nor perform the drilling and tapping of screw threads?

Last edited:
There are plenty jobs in the UK but most want to pay very low wages. ????

I see the skill set they require then I see the salary is less than a machine operative shift worker.
Who are they trying to attract? I suspect it is the immigrants that have flooded the UK over the last few years. They are prepared to work for low wages....... but can they do the job?

I know we struggle to recruit because what we offer looks low but, in reality, many of the engineers earn double the advertised basic salary. Currently trying to make it look better to start with.

Nick

How do you get to be a ME and never see nor perform the drilling and tapping of screw threads?
In the US, this is the standard because the program is designed to fit in 4 year so it's mostly concentrate in theory. In Europe and even in Canada, I think the standard is 5-6 year program for engineering and they covers a lot more hands-on.

There's been a lot of discussion on revamping this for the last decades or so but nothing yet so far from any of the big school, including MIT which was leading this discussion along with the big state universities.

Also, I bring this point up again and again. Control is such a vast area, just because one is good in some niche control doesn't mean that person is good in another. How many self-described control geek can derive a PID transfer function from a P&ID? Not many, I bet but that doesn't mean that person isn't be a "control" guy.

Harry Callahan: A man's GOT to know his limitations.

I am a few years removed from my Master's degree in ME and a bachelor's from the same University.

This is very simple because unfortunately there is almost no hands on experience with a lot of the ME programs. The students have to really want to get into the extra-curricular activities to learn the mechanical hands on material.
The only way I learned the drilling and tapping and other actual hands on stuff is from having a dad that has been a mechanic, working in oil refineries my whole life and learning from him.

-Brian

I should add that both of those guys had great skills and were organized and friendly to work with I should not pick on them. I did have a good laugh at the transformer, I asked him if he unsoldered it from his ipod charger or something like that while we scavenged one from an old spare "bucket" and we got it running and all were laughing about it by lunch.

We are all ignorant some way, just sometimes surprisingly so. I am now working as a maintenance tech again, and finding myself mechanically ignorant again with all new machines and some of them quite weird ones...

I work in manufacturing and we have some excellent controls engneers, they all have 10+ years though. I am an industrial electrician and have been working with controls for 10 years and started logging on to PLC's3 years ago and now can do programming, debugging and troublehooting PLC's.I have learned a lot and am the go-to guy for controls issues in my department. But in my company to get into a controls engineer position you must have the degree. I have been going to school part time so hopefully in about 7 or 8 years I'll have a degree.

I work in manufacturing and we have some excellent controls engneers, they all have 10+ years though. I am an industrial electrician and have been working with controls for 10 years and started logging on to PLC's3 years ago and now can do programming, debugging and troublehooting PLC's.I have learned a lot and am the go-to guy for controls issues in my department. But in my company to get into a controls engineer position you must have the degree. I have been going to school part time so hopefully in about 7 or 8 years I'll have a degree.

10 yrs as a elec and then 10 yrs as a tech beats a degree IMHO

I constantly get phone calls and emails on linked in about jobs, but most of the time it is only to maintain a plant. I work where we do start-ups here. I have an EE and it has helped me in basic understanding of Electrical and Math, maybe i've used a few calculations from school, but here I have learned Omron, Siemens, Redlion, Hyperterminal, Cx-Integrator, Cx-Designer, Cx-Programmer, WinCC, Step 7, Portal V11, V12, & Starting V13. Abb, and about to start a Fanuc.