How's the job market where you live?

It very bad to be programmer in India...Until unless any outside country give you Job.after Struggling of too much time in India.i decided to become a maintenance engineer........

I work for a Norwegian manufacturer and moved to the US for studies. I will remain employed by them and work from home. Problem here is that salaries are jacked up by the off-shore industry so everybody wants to work off-shore for double/triple the wage they can get on-shore. We have been trying to get a control guy for years, but the only thing we get is foreign and generic applications. Our best guys actually work themselves up from the electrical shop and become engineers through experience.

Experienced and skilled controls engineers are in high demand in the Pacific Northwest.

We've hired three mechanical engineers this year, straight out of our local University's ME program.

But I've also hired three controls engineers, and had to get them from Illinois and New York, from unrelated industries.

Ken, I moved from the PNW to Illinois for a job!

The notion that an EE degree should be a prerequisite for a controls engineering position is misguided. When you think about the decisions a controls engineer needs to make, you realize the subjects covered in the ME curriculum are at least as important as the topics covered in the EE curriculum. My degree is in mechanical engineering and I'm pretty sure that goes for Tom Jenkins as well. If either he or I applied for a controls engineering position that listed an EE degree as a requirement, neither of us would get invited for an interview.......

I joined this thread late.

You are correct, Steve - my degree is mechanical engineering. My work encompasses mechanical, electrical, environmental, business administration, and sweeping floors.

I try to teach students that engineering is a problem solving discipline, not a body of knowledge. I've had luck over the years with employees with bachelor degrees in various disciplines, associate degrees, and no degrees. The common factors in the people I kept was ability to work with their hands and eagerness for challenges.

Daddy always said "A good man will always find work." Over the years I've found that to be true.

Illinois is shedding jobs by the hundreds per week due to taxation policies designed to support a municipal/state worker utopia.

The real jobs are moving with their established companies over the border to Indiana or Wisconsin, both of which have governors who have realigned their states' economies in recent years making it far more attractive to do business there, rather than Illinois.

Illinois is shedding jobs by the hundreds per week due to taxation policies designed to support a municipal/state worker utopia.

The real jobs are moving with their established companies over the border to Indiana or Wisconsin, both of which have governors who have realigned their states' economies in recent years making it far more attractive to do business there, rather than Illinois.

Jobs are moving to Wisconsin??:ROFLMAO: I live in Minnesota and we have full Democrat control in all of our state offices. Our unemployment is at 4.6% (sconny 5.7%) and for control guys, unless you're a drunk or a dunce you are employed.

Wisconsin people jump the border to work here then commute back home because we pay 10-15% higher.

Industry was not the strongpoint of my country (contrary to finance -LOL) and traditionally there wasn't a million projects to work with. Throw in that a 4 year long and still going economic crisis, a public sector in havoc and empty banks. Then you get the picture.
However I can say that all the good professionals are still in business but they are not hiring.
Regarding the education level, in Greece every electrician will say that is a control systems engineer only because he programmed a Logo!.
However, the market is dominated by 70-30% ratio of HNC - EE with the later being involved in more complex projects.

It's good to hear that things are not bad for you. It almost makes me feel like applying for a position :).