Job Market - Humor or Reality

I don't think you can use Man Power job listing as a guide for wages in any area. In my area similar jobs pay anywhere from 12-25 an hour, depending on the job,size of company, stress, how nasty etc....

But the same job in Man Power will be 8-10.

The lowest paid position at my plant starts at 15.00, but on occassion we use temp people, who are only making 9.00.

The IT dept here makes 26.00/hour with the overtime which we never lack in we usually clear 65000 yearly. This number is considered low in our area where the average wage for my trade usually starts at 30/hour however I like the fact that I'm home ever night and always work the same plant indoors. I was recently offered a job with an oil field company that offered me 45.00 per hour the only reason I didn't take it was that I would be away from home 3 months at a time. Which would play havok on my relationship with my spouse.

Ken Moore said:
I don't think you can use Man Power job listing as a guide for wages in any area. In my area similar jobs pay anywhere from 12-25 an hour, depending on the job,size of company, stress, how nasty etc....

But the same job in Man Power will be 8-10.

The lowest paid position at my plant starts at 15.00, but on occassion we use temp people, who are only making 9.00.

But your company is probably paying well over the $15 for that $9 an hour temp. Temp agencies make out like a friggin' bandit on those deals and the temp workers get screwed.

Gbradley,
Plenty of people willing to go to work in the industry, but, there just aren't any with the kind of experience that I've witnessed on this forum. The oilfield's trained workforce is diminishing rapidly, which in the end means companies are willing to pay a little more for what used to be cheap, (ie ME). I work for 1 of 2 companies that's established as a"PLC programming company" in the Gulf of Mexico.

The Plant I work at pays between 9.50/hr - 14.25/hr. I am in the middle making 11.30/hr plus .15 shift pay (2nd). Its good for this area. The new plant they are building though will pay higher because it will be more automated/computer controlled.

The plant I am at now is a lot of manual work (grease monkeys). I am in charge of the electronics (Scale Systems/Inverters/etc). I do alot of the electrical also and of course help troubleshoot the PLC problems.

To be 'top pay' you are 'suppose' to know everything in the plant, electrical, electronics, welding, working on all equipment.

Depending on the area, the more money you make (or not make)

Ya'll should drop everything and join up with the local IBEW, or IUEC.. The prevailing wage for an electrictian or elevator jp in this town is like $42.00 per hour (including benies). All this talk of 9.50 - 12.00 is giving me flashbacks to when my diet was mac & cheese and PBRs, and when I spent my leasure time trying to keep my truck running.....

Now I feel guilty about my six figure income.
Maybe we could start a homeless programmers benifit fund.

Johnny...

The term six figures does not include the figures to the right of the decimal point.. $9,000.00 is not a six figure income... :D

I think fundamentaly the laws of supply and demand are always at play. If you are offering a unique service, you can demand a higher price for it (until it is cheaper for a company to provide that service internally.

If you are in competition, to even get work you need to have an attractive offer, unique services or (normally far easier in the short term) lower cost.

Location is key, if there is a greater demand for services than can be easily provided, prices (wages) are higher. If services are easy to come by or not in demand prices are lower.

Comparisons are never easy to make, I myself took on paper a significant pay discount when I relocated back to the UK from the States. But I have managed to buy myself a house and get an overall better standard of living, on what seems to be a lower annual salary.

Just my 2 cents worth.

elevmike said:
Johnny...

The term six figures does not include the figures to the right of the decimal point.. $9,000.00 is not a six figure income... :D

I'm sure most internet trolls make a six(eight) figure income. :rolleyes:

Remember, you can be whatever you want on the internet. There's a certain lack of reality ....

kc9ih said:
...A few places are offering $18-$19 for electricians heavy on PLC's and welding...

Kc - You must tell them that PLC can be bolted on back plate or some even can be snapped to DIN rails. No need to weld them. They ain't gonna fall off.