OT- Wiring of mcb in a panel

Hi
The person who 'signed off' the panel at my headoffice is not my superior...he is an equal. However he has the advantage of being able to BS with all the big cheeses.
I had a phone call with him today and explained the drawings were a total croc with lots of errors and i was not at all happy with the bottom feed.
He told me it was common practice in his country (Eire).
I explained I could not counter that argument but i beleived it to be dangerous practice and also the drawings do not show bottom fed but top fed.
The response from him was to take some photos......of a panel he has signed off already?

Anyway I am going to do that when next on site and see what comes from it

Cheers

If you think that something can't be legal and life safety level of dangerous then you live in a very sheltered version of the world.

As I stated many countries do bottom feed wiring and that's ok for them but on this side of the pond we expect better than that and I agree it should always be checked and checked again IMHO but sh^t happens and that kind of stuff gets people hurt. Why do it when there are better methods.

As I already said if you have to do it then fine. Just label it but don't do it when you don't have to.

I work medium voltage hot a lot of times but not when I don't have to because I am taking a risk for no reason.

Many explosives are life safety dangerous and are very legal. Many types anyone can buy.

There are many things that are legal and life safety hazards. The world is full of them.

cjd1965, sorry for the late reply.

cjd1965 said:
The person who 'signed off' the panel at my headoffice is not my superior...he is an equal. However he has the advantage of being able to BS with all the big cheeses.
I had a phone call with him today and explained the drawings were a total croc with lots of errors and i was not at all happy with the bottom feed.He told me it was common practice in his country (Eire).
I explained I could not counter that argument but i beleived it to be dangerous practice and also the drawings do not show bottom fed but top fed.The response from him was to take some photos......of a panel he has signed off already?

You say he is your equal, but if he is rubbing shoulders with the suits, I'm afraid he may have the upper hand here. That still doesn't mean you should not fight this case, if you have one.

If the drawings are significantly inaccurate to the wiring of the panel, I've explained your possible options earlier. If they just have some minor errors, but the wiring is ok, then the drawings need to be corrected, nothing more.

Your Irish colleague is somewhat correct in what he has said. However, I would not say, as he does, that it is common practice here. More it is practiced, but it is neither common nor uncommon. It depends on the job, the specification and/or the panel shop involved.

You cannot counter this argument by citing any European or International Standards, Irish or British National Regulations that prohibit this option of wiring circuit breakers.

If the specification for this panel categorically stated that all circuit breakers must be top fed, and any or all are bottom fed, then I would fight the case, to have it changed, on the grounds that it was clearly specified. If your company does not have a specification that specifically prohibits this option of wiring circuit breakers, or no such company specification exists, but the individual specification for this panel did not prohibit it, and the manufacturer of the circuit breakers allows bottom supply, then there is not much you can do about it.

It's always important to remember that machines, panels, and their components, must always comply with the region in which they are to be put into operation, not where they are constructed. It is, however, within the regulations for both Eire and the UK for this panel to have bottom fed circuit breakers, again once the manufacturer of the circuit breakers allows it.

I'm not sure how you are reading the drawings, but I am curious to know what way they are wrong exactly? If the terminal markings of the circuit breakers, or the wire markings of its conductors are correctly labeled in the drawings, even though it may appear upside down, this is permitted.

For instance, a representation of a bottom supplied 3 phase circuit breaker does not have to show the supply coming down from the top of the sheet and around to the bottom of the circuit breaker symbol to 2,4,6. Likewise, the conductors from the circuitbreaker symbol need not come from the top 1,3,5, and around to the bottom of the sheet. It may simply have straight lines through the circuit breaker with 2,4,6 on top and 1,3,5 on the bottom of the symbol. They are wiring diagrams, not layout. Again, it's down to what way you're reading them and what you think looks right or not, from your experience.

But have you got a case?

More to come...

G.

Last edited:
The more I have thought about this issue, the more intrigued I have become. I did not realize that there was such a strong belief by some that this is dangerous, until I read this thread.

I am not speaking for an entire nation, region, continent or the whole of Europe here. I'm speaking for those who do not differentiate, from a safety point of view, between these two options of wiring circuit breakers. Liam and I are only down the road from each other and yet we seem to have opposing views on this issue. There are many regions of the world where this may be a highly polarized, or a neutral belief. So it's not a "us v U.S." or anything of this nature. I'm interested to know why you think the way you do on this matter?

I've been chatting with some friends in the business. A couple of Electricians I used to work with, a friend who runs a panel shop in Carlow, down Liam's way, and his predecessor, who has also lectured to apprentices in Carlow College for many years.

We seem to be of the same belief, from a safety point of view, that we do not discriminate either way as to which way a circuit breaker can or should be supplied, as long as the manufacturers' specification allows it. The Electricians don't care which way they are supplied as long as it is neat and the drawings are accurate. The panel builder says he uses both methods, depending on the job or which circuit breakers may be specified. He does lots of work for multinationals bottom fed. The college lecturer says he has been questioned many times over the years on this by apprentices, and others, but that they always leave with the attitude of not caring either way, from a safety point of view.

I am very analytical and thorough, to a fault, so I've been told. I am very good at reading situations and people. I don't always get it right, but I'm never too far wrong. I don't apologize for it, it's the way I'm am, sorry(<<<Joke). I want to try and dispel the stigma that appears to have been created around this particular method of wiring circuit breakers and perhaps get you to at least think a bit more about why you believe what you do. I know I have.

So with that in mind, I'm going to try to analyze this thread to a point, in an attempt to convey my honest opinion on why, I think, your beliefs are biased, when they need not be. Please bear with me and remember I'm not here to fight with anyone, or disrespect the dead. I'm not criticizing anyone, just pointing out what I observe before me. If I question your thinking, please answer constructively and please don't take offense.

cjd1965 said:
Hi
I have been asked to install a panel, supplied by my head ofice overseas. It has CE marking approvals etc

The mcb's all have the supply in the bottom and load out the top. The drawings show power in the top and load out the bottom which is what i would expect.

I realise a AC mcb doesnt really care and will trip if it connected in reverse.

Is there any EN references that say it should be wired in to the top--out at the bottom? Or is it simply a good practice thing

cjd1965,

You came here with 30+ years of experience, believing this method of wiring to be dangerous, but yet you did not state that belief, vehemently, in the opening post? Why?
You want proof to fire back at someone, who you disagreed with over something you believe to be a bad practice. Regardless of whether you get that proof or not, any reinforcement of your belief will do to reassure you that your thinking this way is justified.

The Plc Kid, first out of the blocks...

The Plc Kid said:
Unless the MCB says it must be top wired it should be ok. Check the documentation well first. It is not a written rule to wire in the top that I am aware just good practice.

You offered good advice here, also stating your not sure on the regulation side of things, but you know it to be good practice.

The Plc Kid said:
If you do bottom feed the breaker for safety of life please document the hell out of it. On the panel front and interior and on the guarding of the breaker terminals if you can. make sure it can not be missed.

This is where we start to differ in our thinking. I don't see any reason why the supply is any more dangerous to life on the bottom than on the top? It's the same supply, same risks. It does not need to be identified any more or less than a top supplied circuit breaker, in my belief.

The Plc Kid said:
I would avoid bottom feeding if at all possible though. It's just not worth the risk IMHO.

You started with "it should be ok", but now your finishing with "It's just not worth the risk IMHO". Again what is the greater risk? It is your belief (honest opinion) that this is a risk.
I'm emphasizing the Health and Safety aspect of comments in particular.

cjd1965 said:
Thanks for your reply. I never bottom feed and if i had inspected the panel i would have rejected it on the grounds of safety.
My issue is the guy at head office cannot see it as a problem.

In my 30+ yrs of working in controls I have always understood the practice is dangerous.

You've now got your reassurance that your thinking is correct. So you feel secure enough to make your feelings, vehemently known. You would have rejected this panel on the "grounds of safety". Again I question what is unsafe here? You have an issue with your colleague, but are not sure (that's why you are here) on your position as you have only ever understood it to be a dangerous practice during your 30+ years of experience.

Next..

Lancie1 said:
I say it is a very dangerous practice. I know of at least one electrican that was killed due to this practice. It was a large plant (name withheld due to possible liabilities), and one the 12.6 KV main breakers had to be replaced on emergency basis with a different model. The old cables were too short to wire the new breaker properly, so management approved wiring it reversed, with incoming power on the bottom of the breaker.

The mis-wired breaker was forgotten until years later, an outside contractor was brought in to do some work on a downstream circuit. A contractor electrican went to double check if the locked-out 12.6 KV breaker was indeed dead. He stuck his HV probe where he normally would on the bottom, and caused an arc that resulted in him being burned to death. I think if the hot wires had been on top, he would still be alive.

Now my good friend, I have a couple of questions having thought about this one some more...

You say it is a very dangerous practice, so you are pinning your colours firmly to the mast, and good on you. But a couple of things don't add up here in my mind? Just to be clear, you are claiming this person was killed directly as a consequence of the supply being on the bottom of this circuit breaker? Not by the supply itself?

I agree, the decision to wire the breaker reversed was a corporate one. But was it permitted or not on that particular circuit breaker? I would also agree that at this level of voltage, there should be no ambiguity with good practices. It should not be only good practice, but mandatory to only supply top side. But again we should be prepared for the unexpected? That is what test and verification is all about, not trusting your eyes or beliefs.

Think about what he was doing when it arced? Why did he put his HV probe on the bottom of that isolated circuit breaker? He was verifying the supply had indeed been isolated from a point he believed to be dead. Again, I'm not an expert in this field, but surely the test method he was using should have been designed to allow him to safely check it while isolated, with the risk of it being live? It's a verification test, not Russian roulette? If it's dead I'm alive, If it's live, I'm dead? To me, either the test method was at fault here, or his mis-use of it was. Was the contractor competently trained? Lack of correct PPE back in the day? A poorly designed or unsafe test method? An assumption or complacency again perhaps? He believed it to be dead and so was complacent in carrying out his test? He should have had a safe method of testing a live connection and carried it out properly. Whatever the cause, Lancie1, you finish up with "I think if the hot wires had been on top, he would still be alive." Your not 100% sure here either?

cjd1965 said:
Hi
I agree it is dangerous and I have never seen it done in 30+ years of sticking my head inside control panels. However I am being seen as a whinger from head office where the electrical guys
dont see it as a problem... which is why i was asking for a CE/EN reference to throw back at them.

If I did a panel inspection I would reject the panel however it has been factory tested and inspected at the panel shop, and shipped to me... so I am thinking someone is worried about
admitting fault

Now your in full flight, up and away. You "agree it is dangerous". Because you "have never seen it done" in 30+ years? But yet you still can't seem to find that elusive prohibition? Where on earth is it? It must be there, because now I know I'm right? Yet again, you would reject the panel, on the grounds of safety, yes? And now you believe, they must have falsified a CE Declaration of Conformance, as their test and verification of this panel could not have passed, because you believe this method to be unsafe and, yet to be proved, against regulations?

More to come...

Last edited:
Now I'll have another go at this my friend...

The Plc Kid said:
As I said there is nothing that states that you can't bottom feed because it is a legal method of wiring and a lot of european equipment is done like this. There are some things that have to be done like this but it should be avoided if at all possible.

All correct, in my opinion, except the last statement, I still don't see why it should be avoided? What is so much more dangerous? Supply is supply, is supply?

The Plc Kid said:
I can likely jump from the bed of my pickup to the ground and not get hurt but that still does not make it a good idea or a good practice. Just because you can do something does not mean that you should. The NEC / NFPA / UL are minimum standards your goal should be to design above standard when possible.

I'm not too interested in the base jumping from your flatbed, but I agree with the "Just because you can..." statement.
You have also mentioned standards and design, very important here.

The Plc Kid said:
I would not want a piece of equipment built to just Bare NEC standards as it would likely be a PITA IMHO others may disagree and YMMV.

Again I agree, high standards are to be commended. But I don't see how a bottom fed circuit breaker is sub standard to a top fed one, from a health and safety point of view?

The Plc Kid said:
You have to drill this into the guy's head somehow. he sounds like an idiot to me. Why would you design something in a way that would be a possible life safty issue when
you don't have to? It makes zero % sense. Those are the type of people who have no buisness working in this industry. Feel free to show him this post. Rant off:

Now you have covered your bases yet again. You start out saying it's ok to do it, but then you say don't? It has to be done sometimes, but don't, if you don't have to? Anyone who does this is an idiot and needs it drilled into their heads? Are you saying that all the equipment in Europe, done this way, was done by idiots who have no business working in this industry? And that NEC standards are far superior in this regard? But yet it's not prohibited, right?

I haven't even gotten to my "most stupid", "highly contradictory" part yet...

The phrase, "Better to be thought stupid, than to open ones mouth, and remove all doubt" sprung to mind o_O

What I was referring to, and I apologize for not being clearer, was your statements:

"...it is a legal method of wiring..."

and

"Why would you design something in a way that would be a possible life safty issue"

I was not referring to the obviously inherent danger in all electrical systems. Both methods pose an obvious danger to human life. Would you really think me so naive while working in this industry? Regulations state that you cannot design an electrical system in such a manner as to pose a greater risk by that design. i.e. If one of these methods of wiring circuit breakers is deemed to be more dangerous than the other, that more dangerous method would not be permitted. i.e. could not be legalized.

"legal" is not the correct term here. "Permitted under regulations" is. The law only comes into play once you have a case to answer for breaching a regulation.

The Plc Kid, I wasn't trying to set an example of you first time round, nor this time. You were first out of the blocks here to answer this question. You obviously feel strongly about this issue. I called your opinion into question and you took exception to that. I understand that completely, we all get defensive when our core beliefs are questioned. You slightly mis-understood my meaning and hopefully now I've cleared it up for you.

Now my Irish colleague...

Liam Doran said:
I would agree that bottom feeding MCBs in a control panel is a definite no no. Distribution boards tend to be different, where bottom feed is common.
In 1998 my youngest brother was killed as he was working on a control panel with one MCB supplied from the bottom, which was the circuit he was working on, where all others were fed from the top, . Someone had fitted this MCB to supply an adjacent electric door, and that person has no idea that he has caused someones death.
It does not take much to stop a persons heart rythm, and in this case there was no dramatic burning or sparking but he died nonetheless.I had to identify him in the morgue, an experience I will never forget.

Liam, with all due respect, do you honestly believe that the person that wired that circuit breaker caused your brothers death? The reason he does not know about it, is because he is not liable. Your brother, unfortunately, was either not competently trained, or grew complacent and did not use his training on the day. He should have tested first. Please don't hold this against someone else. I say that with the greatest of sincerity. I've pointed out how I was that incompetent person, on many occasions. The only difference is, I was lucky, your brother was not.

The gravity of this news, on this thread, has now copper fastened all your beliefs that this is a highly dangerous and careless method of wiring.

Lancie1 said:
I can't see where this practice could ever be justified. There is too much room for bad things to happen. I don't know of any code or standard that prohibits this, but codes
should not be the only consideration. Sometimes common sense is better than all codes.

I agree with your last sentence, Lancie1. But I cannot see your reasoning, beyond the reinforcements added in this thread, as to why you feel so strongly on this?
Now that you believe that people are dying because of this, it should never be justified?

I've gone far enough I think. That's hard going, and again, I'm not trying to antagonize anyone. I'm just trying to find out what has ingrained this so strongly in your minds? Please explain where this belief has come from? Was it training? or passed on from generation to generation? Stories you heard from older Electricians you worked with? Or is it simply because it doesn't sit right with you? Or it looks and feels wrong? Goes against your way of thinking? It's not natural?

I have no problem if you feel it is good practice as a better, neater, clearer way to wire a circuit breaker. But I do not agree that it is any more dangerous than top fed, from a health and safety point of view.

An analogy...

Driving is inherently dangerous...

You drive on one side of the road in your country, I drive on the other side in my country. For you to drive on the opposite side in your country would be dangerous. Likewise for me. If I travel to your country and drive, and you to mine, do you call what each other now does any more dangerous? No. It's just "different". Not what your used to. Not what you believe to be safe. But motoring is still inherently dangerous no matter what side anyone drives on, as is electricity, no matter what side it is on anything.

In other words, it should not matter to you which way it is wired, from a Health and safety point of view. This is what I was alluding to in my first post. The dangerous practice is not checking before proceeding to carry out your work. Surely if you always stick to this method it should never matter what's in front of you?
Every time we open a panel, enclosure, junction box, or push button station, the same danger is present. How it is wired, should always be irrelevant. Safe practices in and around live systems should always be adhered to.

How many times have you found a relay contact wired in reverse to the numbering in the drawings? How many times have you screwed off a one-gang/one-way switch only to find the live and load reverse wired? They are bad practices in wiring, but not unsafe, why?
They are both securely wired and the circuit functions. If you need to work on it, you find where the live is, or more importantly, where it is not.

Why do you think all our esteemed betters in the Standards Authorities do not prohibit this practice? Nor do any National Wiring Regulations? Nor do manufacturers stop providing these believed dangerous circuit breakers? Think about it?

I do all this in the name of safety.
Please let me know what you think, in all honesty.

You'll notice I have used and underlined the words, belief, or believe several times throughout.

I feel this belief you have is, in my opinion, is dangerous in itself, as it leads to assumptions.

It is safe to assume that to assume is unsafe.

With the greatest respect,
G.

Last edited:
A contractor electrican went to double check if the locked-out 12.6 KV breaker was indeed dead. He stuck his HV probe where he normally would on the bottom, and caused an arc that resulted in him being burned to death. I think if the hot wires had been on top, he would still be alive.
This does not make sense.
When you use an HV tester you must always test it on a live circuit immediately before or after you have done the action that disconnects the HV voltage - and before you start touching the parts that would have HV voltage. So you are supposed to use a HV tester on a live circuit.
Something else must have been wrong and caused the arch.

To the topic about bottom supply to MCCs:

It is more dangerous than the top supply because it is not the typical practice. But I dont think there are regulations against it.
And there will always be cases where you have a special dangerous situation. This just happens to be an electrical case rather than a mechanical case.

If a dangerous situation cannot be avoided, it must be dealt with like any such case where you have a special dangerous situation.
In this case extra labeling outside and inside the panels would have been enough, maybe with special instructions being handed out to the electricians in a timely way.

I once had an entire control panel turned upside-down so to speak, because the customer wanted all cable entries in the top of the panel. I guess to save cabling and/or space in a confined space where the panel was to be installed.

Hi All I have been busy on other projects but this one is looming again.

The obvious conclusion is that their is no regulation to prohibit it. I have spoken to our 2 uk panel shops who say they cannot understand why it would be done like that because it is not considered 'good practice' or 'normal' however their is no requirement/ regulation.

As for GeoSpark..

The MCB drawings/layouts SHOULD reflect the panel... why bother at all if they don't? A panel layout/GA and a set of drawings should contain enough data to allow a duplication of the panel.

I just had a customer on another site reject a drawing because the +/- terminals on the 24V PSU were opposite to the actual PSU.. very petty I would agree but it was quicker to re-draw than to argue.

The MCB's on the drawings show TOP fed (by nature of the layout) and also by the pin numbers of the MCB... which is why I would have rejected it if I was doing the panel sign off.

At the end of the day if we stick to regulations, the power should be OFF if the door is open so it is not a safety issue.. however we all know that will not be the case.

I am going to have to spend 2-3 site days in the eye of the customer red lining the drawings so the already checked 'AS BUILTS' can be updated to be true 'AS BUILTS' which does not build any confidence with the customer and keeps me from my family due to imcompetence which basically P!sses me off

Thanks for all the interest

The obvious conclusion is that their is no regulation to prohibit it.

From a Health and Safety point of view, does this not make you wonder...if not, why not? If it was known to be the direct cause of peoples' deaths, surely they would have prohibited it by now?

I have spoken to our 2 uk panel shops who say they cannot understand why it would be done like that because it is not considered 'good practice' or 'normal' however their is no requirement/ regulation.

Again, I'm seeing the belief, but not the reason?
Just because they cannot understand why, does not automatically make it dangerous.
It's not considered 'good practice'. Did you ask them why, did they say why?
It's always good to seek council, as you have done here. But, no matter how many people tell you what is considered right or wrong, normal or abnormal, you should decide for yourself.
I am possibly in the minority, on the whole, but I still choose to believe what I think makes most sense, from a Health and Safety point of view.
I keep using that statement, it's important I do. It's so you are constantly aware of the distinction I'm making here between whether you should use this method of wiring or not with regard to safety of life, and not with regard to preferred wiring methods for aesthetics.
All I'm asking you to do here is question your, so far undisclosed, reasons for believing it is dangerous.

The MCB drawings/layouts SHOULD reflect the panel... why bother at all if they don't? A panel layout/GA and a set of drawings should contain enough data to allow a duplication of the panel.

When done correctly, wiring and layout schematics, do reflect the panel, accurately. Even using the 2,4,6 example I mentioned.
Wiring schematics for MCBs or any other components, do not use layout to denote what wire goes where, they use terminal numbering and/or wire numbering, along with symbols. The symbol denotes what component the wire is associated with and the terminal number denotes where the wire is terminated on that component.

Q: What terminal number do I need to put this wire in?
A: schematics> '1' on 'MCB1'

Find terminal 1 on MCB1 and terminate it there. If it's on the bottom of something or the top it doesn't matter, that's where the schematics have told you to terminate it. You don't put it on the top, just because it is shown that way in the drawings, you follow the terminal numbers.
Layout, or General Arrangement, schematics are just that, general. They denote the position of components within a panel, and they identify them. They don't tell you if component A is fed physically to the top or bottom, they usually don't show any wiring.
To wire a duplicate panel, you layout the components as per the GA. You wire those components as per the terminal numbering in the wiring schematics.
You don't expect wiring or layout schematics to reflect the physical layout of each wire and the orientation of each contact? That would be too verbose, and unnecessary, at least in most cases.

For instance, often in wiring schematics you might see a wire come from above to a terminal on a relay numbered, say, '11'. When you look for '11' on the relay, it may very well be physically on the bottom of the relay. The wiring schematics don't need to map out the physical orientation of all the wires and contacts. The lines that represent wires in a wiring schematics are pointers from one terminal to the next, that's all.

Often, two identical panels, wired by two separate people, using the same wiring schematics, will differ a lot in how the wires were routed from A to B. Some wires between identical sets of terminals may differ greatly in length, depending on which route they took. You would not expect them to confer on exactly how each wire is routed from A to B.

So, you do not need schematics to show the supply wires going around and down to 2,4,6 on the bottom of the symbol for an MCB. You just put 2,4,6 on the top of the symbol.

Should I need to be explaining all this to you?
If I've somehow mis-read your point, forgive me.

I just had a customer on another site reject a drawing because the +/- terminals on the 24V PSU were opposite to the actual PSU.. very petty I would agree but it was quicker to re-draw than to argue.

I am particular with details, but this is a bit too fussy. Drawings are detailed guides, but do not need to be quite that accurate. It's their prerogative non the less. Was the - on the left of the +? I know that doesn't sit well with someone people.

The MCB's on the drawings show TOP fed (by nature of the layout) and also by the pin numbers of the MCB... which is why I would have rejected it if I was doing the panel sign off.

As I've said, wiring schematics are not layout schematics, so forget the 'nature of the layout'. However, if the wires coming from the supply are shown terminated into 1,3,5 on the drawing, but are actually terminated to 2,4,6 (or whatever the numbering), then the drawings are not accurate to the wiring.

Now we're back to the decision...

If it's decided that the wiring is ok to be left as is, the wiring schematics need to be amended to place numbers 2,4,6 on top of each symbol and 1,3,5 on the bottom, that's all.

If your specification (is there one?) says the panel should have been wired as per the wiring schematics, or someone decides they want it changed, then the wiring needs to be changed.

At the end of the day if we stick to regulations, the power should be OFF if the door is open so it is not a safety issue.. however we all know that will not be the case

Your right, it wont always be the case.
Regulations and safe practices do not stipulate the power must be off before opening the door.
Many panel door isolators are defeatable and permissible. Depending on the work being carried out, it is fine to have the door open with power on. You may be resetting a breaker without powering down the whole panel, or you may be live testing for a fault, or commissioning.
But, if you are isolating the panel to carry out work with the potential for direct contact with live parts, it is still a safety issue after the panel is isolated, until you check for voltage at the point of work.

Isolating a panel and proceeding to work on and around live parts, with the assumption that it is dead, is not safe practice.

I am going to have to spend 2-3 site days in the eye of the customer red lining the drawings so the already checked 'AS BUILTS' can be updated to be true 'AS BUILTS' which does not build any confidence with the customer and keeps me from my family due to imcompetence which basically P!sses me off

Aside from my crusade here,

Remember, I have never said that you should or should not accept this panel. I have only outlined where you should stand, and that you cannot argue the case, to have it changed, based on it being dangerous, it is not. It's whether or not your company allows it. That decision still has to be made. Or perhaps its already been made, you just don't know it yet?

JesperMP,

Thank you for the feedback on HV testing.

It is more dangerous than the top supply because it is not the typical practice. But I dont think there are regulations against it.And there will always be cases where you have a special dangerous situation.

If people always test for voltage before they work on any circuit, how is it especially dangerous? It's the same supply your verifying is off? It won't kill you any less just because it's on the bottom of the breaker! o_O

My real fear is, not using it because it is perceived as dangerous, not good practice, abnormal, atypical, irregular, uncommon, creates some sense of false safety. Once someone assumes it isn't there, they are somehow safer from the same potential voltage. Also, it indicates to me, that once it is assumed not there, the danger from the complacency of not verifying first is exponentially greater.

The real issue here is, too many people are complacent, and want to rely on this method to somehow protect them from the very danger that will always be present, no matter which way you bend it.

Be safe!
G.

So you are supposed to use a HV tester on a live circuit. Something else must have been wrong and caused the arch.
Yes, it came out during the lawsuits that his probe was defective. My point was not about defective equipment or bad safety or poor procedures. This was in the days when you could check a high voltage circuit with very little protection and not much thought. Accidents like this one lead to more regulations and controls.

My point only was that if the dead man knew that the bottom of the breaker was hot, then he might not have stuck his probe on the bottom terminals without checking it first. He might have been more careful, but he assumed it was dead and safe and was willing to risk his life based on a false assumption.

The bottom line I stated was if the breaker had been wired in the standard way, probably this guy would still be alive.

Just because they cannot understand why, does not automatically make it dangerous.
You are picking at straws, old buddy. Just because you can't understand why it is dangerous doesn't make the practice safe either. We all make assumptions every day where we will be killed if our assumption is wrong. For example, did you drive through a green traffic light today? You assumed that the probability was high that you would be safe, but that was only an assumption. Why did you think it was safe though? Was it because you had done it thousands of times before and got away with it? The only automobile accident I have ever been in was while going through a green light. My assumption was wrong, and I could have been killed.

The codes and standards are always playing catch-up. After several more people are killed while touching the bottom hot wires on breakers, there will be a bunch of new rules to follow. Note the UL use of "normally fed circuit breakers. Even they recognize the normal method.
UL Reverse Feed Standards Requirements

UL 489—Molded case circuit breakers, molded case switches, and circuit breaker enclosures
Per UL 489, there are clear test performance and marking requirements for circuit breakers and molded case switches that are UL Listed as being suitable for reverse-feed applications. UL 489 requires reverse-feed circuit breakers to meet certain construction requirements, and to be tested and marked accordingly, as follows:
1 Tested per UL 489, Paragraph 7.1.1.18
2 Markings per UL 489, Paragraph 9.1.1.13

Testing Requirements
Per UL 489, Paragraph 7.1.1.18: Except for single-pole circuit breakers tested singly, if a circuit breaker is not marked “Line” and “Load,” one sample of each set tested, or one additional sample, shall be connected with the line and load connections reversed during the overload, endurance and interrupting tests.

This UL test requirement specifies that for circuit breakers and molded case switches to be UL Listed for reverse-feed applications, samples shall be tested with the line and load terminals reverse-fed, as shown in Figure 2, and that the test results shall be the same as those of “normally” fed circuit breakers. Depending on the design configuration and construction, the circuit breaker may or may not be affected by the application of power in a reverse-feed connection during these tests.

Marking Requirements
Per.UL.489.Paragraph 9.1.1.13: Circuit breakers shall be marked “Line” and “Load” unless the construction and test results are acceptable with the line and load connections reversed. This marking requirement specifies that UL Listed circuit breakers and molded case switches shall be marked with the word “Line” on one end of the circuit breaker and the word “Load” on the other end, as shown in Figure 3, if they are unable to successfully meet the reverse-feed test requirements per Paragraph 7.1.1.18 of UL 489. Conversely, a UL Listed circuit breaker does not have to be marked with “Line” and “Load” if it successfully meets the reverse feed test requirements.

UL 489- Reverse Fed Circuit Breakers.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to dredge up a not too old post, but it's something that I have followed pretty closely and has been weighing on my mind for a little bit.

Before going any further I must say that I concur with what Geospark has had to say on the matter. He has explained his position very well and has yet to be refuted on most if not all points.

I'm an industrial electrician of over 15 years experience and during my apprenticeship I also did my share of domestic and commercial wiring. In all of those years of shoving copper into screw terminals I've seen damn near everything possible. It is certainly not uncommon to feed an MCB from the bottom (and is definitely very common in residential installations.) It's also just the way some busbar systems work. There is no regulation, act or code that I have come across (working under New Zealand legislation) that prohibits it either.

I would also ask if it is any different from feeding a contactor from the bottom? That's certainly something that happens with great regularity. What about terminals, isolators, or any other device? What is so special that makes it unsafe for an MCB to be fed from the bottom?

Certainly from an aesthetic point of view it makes sense for an MCB to be fed from the top. In the western world we read books from left to right, top to bottom and most of our other daily activities follow the same general rules. When I mount MCBs in a panel I usually start from the top left (but not always if the situation so requires). It is purely aesthetic though. If I was to assume which side an MCB was fed from I would always guess the top. In my experience this is not always the case.

I, like Geospark, would sincerely like to know why other members of the forum consider the practice of bottom feeding MCBs unsafe. What, exactly, makes this an unsafe practice. Nothing I have read in this discussion has convinced me that I shouldn't be doing it. Forget site standards, drawings, diagrams, and common decency - what is so unsafe about bottom feeding an MCB that causes some forum members to foam at the mouth?P.S. Lancie's quote above about "normally" fed circuit breakers doesn't really hold much water in the argument about whether it is safe or not to bottom feed an MCB. MCBs are "normally" fed from the top, yes. Generally it's because of aesthetics. Cars are "normally" driven forwards too, but sometimes I find it's necessary to drive them backwards and I can do so in a safe manner.
Electricity is dangerous, people. Never assume.

Drunken rant over. Time to go and talk to the missus. 🍻

Winklehoffen,

You can not understand why it is dangerous if you look only at the physics, the performance, and the electical characteristics of a circuit breaker. That will lead you to the conclusion that most circuit breakers are two-way streets, and that electric current can and will flow either direction. All true.

The danger comes when you bring in human characteristics. People get into modes of action-reaction without ever thinking about what they are doing? Do you flip on your turn signal when you turn your car steering wheel sharply, even if you are not making a turn? Do you sit down on the commode without checking the position of the lid? Do you flip a light switch down to turn it off, even if that turns it on because it is a 3-way switch?

If we were machines or computers we would do none of these things. Neithter would we assume that the dead wires on an OFF circuit breaker are on the bottom. But we are not machines and we do make those assumptions. The Human Factor is why certain practices can be dangerous. It is a real problem, and no amount of instructon or training can completely overcome the fact that we are failable, weak, soft, unstable Humans.

Last edited:
A standard method of wiring should never be a substitute for proper testing and isolation practices. Where I come from electricians are supposed to be of a certain intelligence and it is drummed into us from a very early stage that you must test before commencing work. I would never blindly tug on a wire in a live switchboard before testing - I want my son to grow up learning about manly stuff like action figures not girly stuff like dolls.

If you can't observe a fairly simple safety procedure then you probably shouldn't be opening that cabinet door anyway. As I said above electricity is dangerous, people. Never assume. So again I fail to see how it is unsafe to bottom feed an MCB.

And as a side note I always check if the seat of the commode is down before sitting on it just like I always check that my chair is in place before seating myself in front of my desk.

And as a side note I always check if the seat of the commode is down before sitting on it just like I always check that my chair is in place before seating myself in front of my desk.
Winklehoffen, you are one super human. I wish I was that capable.