Overview of Honeywell PLC and DCS

nil9178

Hi,
Can someone give me a glimpse of different PLCs and DCS available in Honeywell.
Ex: In Siemens we have PLCs classified as 200, 1200, 300 ,400 and DCS as PCS7.

Also if would be of great help if I can get a link to honeywell's PLC and DCS

Cheers
Nil

Honeywell's systems division is the DCS. TDC 2000/3000 were early and mid era versions. Plant-this and Plant-that seemed to be later versions. Experion is the current DCS brand name. Controllers are H200 & H300. Except for brochures with glossy photos, details are pretty well obscured for those not registered as users. If there'a a public forum for Honeywell DCS, I've never found it.

Honeywell's instrument group (recorders/controllers/analytical instruments/field transmitters) markets the HC900, best categorized as a Process Automation controller (PAC). It is controller based, multiple rack mounted I/O modules, native Modbus RTU/TCP with provision for redundancy for ethernet communications, control and power supply, but no redundant I/O. It's analog throughput is 500mS for up to ~1,000 points. Discrete scans are somewhere around 25mS. It's programming language is tag based function block, is OPC friendly, but it does not do ladder logic. So, the HC is not a general PLC for machine control, it fits well in the controller-based process loop control market.

The DCS's have integrated server-based database, graphics for HMI, historian, etc. that are typical of DCS, whereas the HC is controller based, like a PLC.

Honeywell bought a PLC company back in the 1980's (?) and that 6xx series PLC was used for discrete logic control along with the separate S9000 analog controller of the same vintage.

Honeywell bought a PLC company back in the 1980's (?) and that 6xx series PLC was used for discrete logic control along with the separate S9000 analog controller of the same vintage.

That would be IPC, I remember attending training at their place in Wellingborough in the UK in the early 80's.

I'm just looking for info on the MasterLogic PLC, Honeywell's latest and greatest retro PLC. Have no idea why they are so secterive, no-one would pinch their stuff, that's for sure.

That would be IPC, I remember attending training at their place in Wellingborough in the UK in the early 80's.

I'm just looking for info on the MasterLogic PLC, Honeywell's latest and greatest retro PLC. Have no idea why they are so secterive, no-one would pinch their stuff, that's for sure.

Honeywell's primary controller (below the Experion system) is the HC900. It is a Hybrid Controller that programs in Function Blocks. We have done many control systems using it. I watch this forum and shake my head when I see so many folks struggling over how do do something in a PLC that would be simple in the HC900 (toggle flip/flop is one example). It isn't designed for FAST discrete control, but it is great for most everything else.

The Masterlogic PLC is to fill in a slot left open by the removal of the IPC620 from the market. It is expecially geared toward integration with the existing TDC systems. Haven't used one yet, but it may happen.

Here is a link to the brochure http://hpsweb.honeywell.com/HPSWEBI...8976DE217E6E/81494/MasterLogicPIN_April09.pdf

There certainly are tasks that are a snap to do when the function block is ready-to-go.

Tasks like output control of slide wire feedback or open loop control of electric rotary actuators are so simple with the HC-900 function blocks.

I was totally unaware of the MasterLogic box.

There certainly are tasks that are a snap to do when the function block is ready-to-go.

Tasks like output control of slide wire feedback or open loop control of electric rotary actuators are so simple with the HC-900 function blocks.

I was totally unaware of the MasterLogic box.

But Device Control, PID, Alternator, SPP, etc. Blocks really make programming simple.

In addition, AND and OR Blocks etc. are as easy to trouble shoot as ladder logic and a Switch Block is a lot simpler than a MOV.

I was telling someone the other day that I can switch seamlessly between Ladder and Function Block in my head, but that doesn't mean I don't have a preference...