panel view 1000

All your quoted statements mean nothing because you don't have an "RS232 (DH-485)" terminal. You have a Controlnet terminal. Controlnet is a communication and control method. The Micrologix DOES NOT USE Controlnet.

Well ... maybe not so good.

I have a question about configuring a PV1000 with a SLC 5/03 on ControlNet. Would you mind providing some assistance?

Well, give it a try. ControlNet and the SLC-5/0x controllers were never very tightly coupled.

What kind of ControlNet module do you have for your SLC-5/03 ?

What is the exact part number of the PanelView terminal ?

So what you've got is a 1747-SCNR, which is a ControlNet Scanner. This will let you configure an I/O connection between the SLC and the PanelView terminal.

This is a lot like using RIO with a PanelView, except that the configuration is done differently, using RSNetworx for ControlNet instead of the 1747-SN configuration applet inside RSLogix 500.

If you had a 1747-KFC15, you could access the SLC-5/03 data tables from the PanelView randomly, as though you were using a direct DF1 connection.

Are you starting from scratch, or modifying an existing application ? Do you have RSNetworx for ControlNet software and a ControlNet network interface like the 1784-U2CN or 1784-PCC ?

This is a new application I am doing for a customer and I have little ControlNet knowledge. That is part of my question, do I need to do anything on the ControlNet side for these two to communicate. I have RSNetworx for ControlNet but I have no 1784-U2CN or PCC and I didn't want to have to purchase one if it was not required.

Last edited:
To configure a scheduled ControlNet network, you need some kind of interface for RSNetworx to access the network nodes.

In modern ControlNet systems this is almost always a bridged connection across a ControlLogix backplane from an EtherNet/IP module or the USB connection on a controller or network module.

If you don't have a ControlLogix system connected to this network, you need a dedicatd PC to ControlNet interface. The best ones are the 1784-U2CN (modern and supported) and the 1784-PCC (almost obsolete due to the decline in PCMCIA slots and no Win7 drivers).

You can sometimes connect through a serial-ControlNet interface like the 1770-KFC15 or the 1747-KFC15. Neither was very powerful but this is a very small network so they might suffice.

There's no "passthrough" to ControlNet in the SLC-500 or PLC-5 platforms, nor can you use the serial port on the PanelView to configure a ControlNet.

Once you get them up and running, PanelView Standard and the 1747-SCNR work just fine together. There's one running the busy Fremont Bridge just a few hundred yards from me... I'm actually going to row over the network cable in a while, headed for Ballard and the brewery.

If I was building this from scratch and the customer's only requirement was "you must use an SLC-5/03 and a PanelView Standard and connect them via ControlNet", I would use the 1747-KFC15 instead of the 1747-SCNR.

While it is significantly slower and does occupy the serial port of the SLC-5/03, such a connection can be done entirely in un-scheduled bandwidth and you would not have to touch RSNetworx for ControlNet or need a direct PC->ControlNet interface.

If I was building this from scratch and the customer's only requirement was "you must use an SLC-5/03 and a PanelView Standard and connect them via ControlNet", I would use the 1747-KFC15 instead of the 1747-SCNR.

While it is significantly slower and does occupy the serial port of the SLC-5/03, such a connection can be done entirely in un-scheduled bandwidth and you would not have to touch RSNetworx for ControlNet or need a direct PC->ControlNet interface.

Although it is being built from scratch, my customer is furnishing the material so this what I have to work wirh. I have located a 1784-PCC on ebay for $200 and since I will probably never use it again I would prefer not to spend a small fortune on the USB version. As I said before, I wanted to be sure I needed it before I bought it. Thanks for the assistance. I will get it ordered and see what happens.

Thanks again,

David Adams

Ken,

What is the difference in the A and B versions of the 1784-PCC. I have seen this on other AB products and I am never quite sure what it means. I am an old Siemens guy and my AB knowlaedge is somewhat limited.

Thanks again

David

That is a very wise question; the multiprotocol 1784-PCMK card from the age of the dinosaurs had a Series A and Series B that were totally different and therefore had different cable sets with entirely different card-edge connectors.

The 1784-PCC Series A and B are physically identical, and there's a firmware upgrade from Series A to Series B. Series A was a Windows 95/98 only card, and the Series B drivers work with Windows NT/2000/XP.

The upgrade is here, on the RA Knowledgebase: Answer ID 18225.

Before you buy it, what is the hardware you'll be running it on ? Some modern PCs don't supply the proper drivers and power for old PCMCIA designs like the 1784-PCC. I was disappointed, for example, to learn that my otherwise excellent Dell E6410 had a low-spec PCMCIA port, while the E6500 units my co-workers had work fine.

I have a Dell Latitude D820 I use for my automation software and I also have a Dell E6500 that I can use if I need to. Apparently I do not have the proper authorization to access the link you provided, even after I log in. With this upgrade I can make a series A into a series B, correct?

Thanks, Mickey, for that link. The PCC upgrade utility is #18.

I've had positive reports on the use of the 1784-PCC in the Dell D830 and E6500 from my colleagues.

Thanks, Mickey, for that link. The PCC upgrade utility is #18.

I've had positive reports on the use of the 1784-PCC in the Dell D830 and E6500 from my colleagues.

OK, here is my next question for you AB gurus. When configuring my PanelBuilder application, will I be able to assign my tags to the B3 file points? Or do they reside in the "ControlNet-Scheduled" tab of the tag editor?