Panelview 300 w/RS232 won't connect

RMore

I am a new user to Rockwell products. I am trying to connect a Panelview 300

Here's the specifics of the system.
Panel view 300 p/n 2711-K3A5L1 (RS232 version)
Firmware Version 4.48
Serial Cable 2711-NC13 (9 pin sub-d female both ends)
PanelBuilder32 Version 3.82.01
RSLinx version 2.57.00

The problem is I get no response from the HMI. I verified the serial port settings are correct and the port is working (connects to micrologix 1400 without a problem).

Any suggestions?

Your PV supports DH485 protocol. The serial port on your ML1400 must be configured for DH485 protocol. Same baud rate different node address as your ML1400

Hello Mickey. Thanks for the response. I am not yet ready to connect the PV to the 1400. I'm having trouble connecting to my computer to download the code.

Rmore,

You may need to switch your PanelView300 to Configuration Mode and check your communication settings (baud rate) to make sure it matches your PC serial port settings. Default is 19200 baud rate, but it could have been changed to a lower setting.

PS: Because you said "(connects to micrologix 1400 without a problem)", then make sure that RSLogix is NOT RUNNING. RSLogix can tie up your serial port and prevent the PanelView from connecting to your computer. Also temporarily disable the RSLinx driver for the Microclogix connection, unless your computer has more than 1 serial port!

Last edited:
Martin. I apologize... I see that my original post was unclear. When I said "(connects to micrologix 1400 without a problem)". I was referring to the serial port on the PC using RSLinx to connect to the ML1400 to illustrate that RSLinx and the serial port were working properly. I do not have the ML1400 connected. I am only connecting the PV300 to my serial port. I have verified the configuration settings, and they all make sense. Also, if I use RSLinx, using automatically sense settings, it fond's the device, but times out during the CRC test.

I talked to our local rep and he suggested that the protocols that the PanelBuilder software was using were not compatible with the PV300. The Panelbuilder is trying to connect using DF1 protocol, while the PV300 uses DH485 protocol. He suggested that I purchase a 1747UIC (USB to DH485 converter). I find it odd that the PanelBuilder software wouldn't have a driver for the DH485 protocol that would allow me to program the PV300 directly from the serial port. Any thoughts?

RS232 on your PC and RS485 do not mix. Are you sure you don't have another port on the PV300 to use? The 1747UIC is a good investment, BTW, especially if you are working on "old stuff" once in a while.

I talked to our local rep and he suggested that the protocols that the PanelBuilder software was using were not compatible with the PV300. The Panelbuilder is trying to connect using DF1 protocol, while the PV300 uses DH485 protocol. He suggested that I purchase a 1747UIC (USB to DH485 converter). I find it odd that the PanelBuilder software wouldn't have a driver for the DH485 protocol that would allow me to program the PV300 directly from the serial port. Any thoughts?[/FONT]

You can use the rs232 port on your laptop with a cheap cable (you probably already own) and the PIC/AIC+ driver to download the application to the PV300. The PIC/AIC+ driver can be used on a serial port.*

DH485 has NO advantage over DF1 for a point to point (2 devices) network.

I suggest (unless you plan to have three or more nodes on your DH485 network) that you:
a) perform a firmware update on the PV300 to change it to a DF1 type. Then you can keep your RSLinx settings and Micrologix port settings on the nice and easy DF1 protocol. If interested in this option, we can dig up the details for how to get it done.
b) toss the PV300 (or sell it on ebay) and buy a G304K from Red Lion. Then your HMI limitations all but go away and the performance and capability and reliability will go up (dramatically).

*PC must have a real serial port, and must be able to run the PIC/AIC+ driver (Windows XP SP2 or older or DMroeder's SP3 Patch).

So he has a really old PV300? I looked at the AB site, and it shows multiple ports, unless that is misleading. I haven't worked with too many of those.

RMore, this is a very common issue with the difference between DF1 protocol and DH485 protocol when both are run on RS-232 physical wiring.

I strongly recommend following Mickey's recommendation of not attempting to connect your PC to the PanelView, but rather using a small CF card in a Type II carrier to copy *.PVA files to the terminal.

DH485 protocol is tricky to set up in Windows (as has been since Windows 95), especially if you limited to one physical serial port and trying to also use a different protocol.

The smaller "PanelView 300 Micro" terminals are easily convertible between DF1 and DH485 protocol, but the PV300 Keypad terminal you have is not.

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for the responses I have received so far. The value of this forum is immeasurable, as proven by your focused and much-appreciated prompt input. My hat's off to all of you.

I found an old laptop and was able to install the RSLinx ap that was distributed with Panelbuilder32 3.82.01 (2005). This version came with a driver for the 1747-PIC, that I was able to get working. Unfortunately, it took 6 tries before the complete code downloaded, as the download kept failing in the middle (and in the beginning, and during one particularly frustrating attempt, when it was at 98% ) I had similiar "luck" when attempting to upload the code from the PV300 back to the PC(actually, I gave up and was never able to get a complete upload, even after replacing the cable).

I am going to order the 1747-UIC and hope I don't have dl/ul issues with that as well. Any thoughts?

"Instability" or "unreliability" is not the usual problem with the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver; it was usually all or nothing.

I would be concerned about the condition of the PanelView's serial port.

Was this terminal new, or taken from a known-running system ?

If it were my system, I would install a simple "read a dozen integers" test application and connect it to the MicroLogix 1400 and run it overnight, then check the serial channel diagnostics on the controller for errors.

The smaller "PanelView 300 Micro" terminals are easily convertible between DF1 and DH485 protocol, but the PV300 Keypad terminal you have is not.

Thanks Ken.

Rmore, sorry for the wrong info I gave earlier about firmware. I was unaware that the Keypad versions could not be flashed.

I also did not realize those units had a memory card slot. That is definitely the easiest method of transferring programs to and from a Panelview.

Last edited:
My 1747-UIC came today and is woirking flawlessly. The blue screen of death occured a couple times while installing the driver, but it seemed to have installed in spite of the system crashes. My assumption is that the crash occured while the installation was terminating.

In any case, thank you all for your assitance. This is my first Rockwell project and so far, it has been an enjoyable learning experience.