PanelView Plus 1500 Macro???

jdcraig101

PanelView Plus Macro Help
Hi, We are using a PanelView Plus 1500 with a Control Logix L71. There is a series of actions that need to occur when one button is pressed. We figured a macro would be the way to go, but have no experience with them.

When the button on the PanelView is pressed the following things need to take place:
1. Activate bypass of xyz tag in processor A (discrete input)
2. Activate bypass of xyz tag in processor B (discrete input)
3. Activate output to abc device from tag in processor A (discrete output)

When button is pressed on HMI, two inputs (each on a separate controller) are bypassed and an output is sent to an end device.

Thanks in advance.

My personal opinion is that the sequencing should be done in the PLC, not in the HMI. Service techs that troubleshoot problems with things happening out of sequence expect control functionality to be in the PLC, so when problems show up that's the first place they look. Putting control functionality in the HMI makes troubleshooting more difficult.

All logic is in the PLC program. Want to use a single button on panelview to initiate the 3 actions (2 on one plc and one on the other plc) at the same time.

So a macro can do this.

In your macro:
  • Identify the tag in PLC A that you want to trigger and the value to be written to it (1)
  • Identify the tag in PLC B that you want to trigger and the value to be written to it (1)

Now, the best bet here is to trigger internal tags in the PLCs. By "internal" I mean: not connected to any real I/O. Lets call these trigger tags.

Then in your logic in PLC A, write logic that says when the trigger tag is on here is what I want to happen. This can certainly include energizing real output devices. Repeat that in PLC B. Make sure to document the internal tag to indicate it is coming from the HMI.

This way, as mentioned earlier, if someone has to troubleshoot this, the logic controlling the output devices is in the PLC, not the HMI. It is very frustrating to troubleshoot a problem and find that the HMI is turning something on and off when everything else is happening in the PLC.

OG