PanelView program ClusterF***

LoganB

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a problem at my building and I would love some suggestions from the group.

We have around 50 PV+ HMIs at this location, about a 3rd of them are pre v 6.0 (firmware) currently running MERs created on a x32 bit station, a 3rd of them are pre v 6.0 x64 bit, and a 3rd of them are POST 6.0 x64 bit.

So the main problem is that some of the engineers will upload an .MER file from a PV, make changes, download the new .MER, and then forget to put a new .APA on the server. When this happens on a PV+ that is pre 6.0 firmware and the .MER was created on a x64 bit station, we have a problem. You can't reconstruct a program from an MER that is both pre 6.0 AND x64 bit. So we keep having situations where our engineers are blowing away changes others have made when they forget to put an APA on the server.

So, to my question, short of pulling people's fingernails off if they forget to put an APA on the server, what can I do to alleviate the issue?

Current ideas:

1. Upgrade the logic modules of all the older PV+s so that we are on firmware 6.0+ and can use .MERs for everything. Problem with this is cost, obviously.

2. Force all engineers to use a VMware x32 bit environment for FTView Studio changes so that we don't have any x64 bit MERs out there. This seems counter to the advancement of tech, however.

3. I know there is a package offered by rockwell to organize CLX files, audit changes, and make sure no one steps on anyone else's toes. Does this work with PanelView programs as well?

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I use Option 2 personally, but I would recommend Option 0 as more effective in the implementation of sitewide revisioning and disaster recovery procedures.

At my previous job we had the same issue.

resolution, we created a master folder with access granted to certain individuals. Maintenance had to give me a copy of the files to put into the folder. We had a tech data specification for each machine. any programming change had to go through the proper channels, and I was one of those channels. it kept me in the loop.

MY current location.
for panelview programs, the is/it department it the only ones with the software. My co worker and I work well together.
For plc programs, only certain individuals have the programming software for the 500, PLC5, and logix 5000.

we also have a program to search for rogue copies of software stored on computers and laptops. when it finds one, it places it in a quarantine folder on a server and wipes that program off the pc. Designated pc's are not searched (mine and my coworkers).

we also do a routine file comparison of plc programs to look for any changes.
changes are documented and emailed to several people letting them know of the change.

this is custom software written for us.

we have a master copy that only is/it can access.
we have a working folder for general use.

PS. Our is/it department is the plc programmers, computer gurus, software installation guys, and administrators.

james

With my current employer 32 bit mers are done on 32 bit virtual machines. 64 bit mers are done on 64 bit virtual machines.

But beyond that they have procedures that they follow religiously. There is no "I'm making a small change I don't need to file the backup disk." Changes are serious business. There are Automation Engineers who just do paperwork and push change controls. The next to the last step of the change control - after making the actual change is to make a backup disk with MER, APA, and BAK files along with a change description. The last step before filing the disk is to verify it. It is a PAIN. But it is organized. If you are the boss write some procedures and give demerits when people do not follow the procedure.

My 2 cents

I use Option 2 personally, but I would recommend Option 0 as more effective in the implementation of sitewide revisioning and disaster recovery procedures.

Same here.
Create VM images for each major revision that you have.

If you want to run your own network backup of the PanelViews, you don't need asset centre.

Each panelview has an FTP server on it. Set that up for read access only, and point to the project folder (for *.mer files).
Then you can run a batch script on a network PC and download all your PanelView project files.

Each panelview has an FTP server on it. Set that up for read access only, and point to the project folder (for *.mer files).
Then you can run a batch script on a network PC and download all your PanelView project files.

I didn't know this! That's a great idea...