PCMK with USB to PCMCIA convertor?

rstech

Hello everyone,

Have any of you guys used a USB to PCMCIA convertor with an Allen-Bradley PCMK card? If so, did it work and what brand/model was it. Like a few other posters I am looking at a new laptop and want to know all my options.

I already have a Keyspan USA-19HS to replace the serial port, now I need to deal with the missing PCMCIA slot in the new laptop I want. Worst case scenario I'll go to the Dell Latitude D820 with serial and PCMCIA but I was hoping to get something different this time around with a 17" monitor and 512MB video card. Thanks.

rstech said:
Have any of you guys used a USB to PCMCIA convertor with an Allen-Bradley PCMK card? If so, did it work and what brand/model was it.

I've been looking for one, especially a USB to type III but haven't been successfull. I'd be intereseted in the make/model also.

Me being Me

Seems like all I do these days is bust bubbles i.e. sound nasty. Terry come back, you can talk the language.

Why would they make a USB to PCMCIA?

You need what you need, if the Dell gives you that then get it.

If you have a PCMK card for AB then why do you need a serial port?

If you have DOS programs then it may be time to upgrade, otherwise keep an old system for that.

If your laptop is just used for control work, why upgrade?

rsdoran said:
Seems like all I do these days is bust bubbles i.e. sound nasty. Terry come back, you can talk the language.

Why would they make a USB to PCMCIA?

If you have DOS programs then it may be time to upgrade, otherwise keep an old system for that.

In my case, the modicon PCMCIA adapter at work is type III and no laptops here but a very old one supports it. I did find USB to PCMCI adapters earlier today but type I & II only. Apparently there has been a need by someone in the past.

True, PCMK card supports DH+ and DH-485 but what if you have a Micrologix you want to program? or a RS232-only Panelview? PCMK card won't help much.

Yep, old system is a good idea.

True, PCMK card supports DH+ and DH-485 but what if you have a Micrologix you want to program? or a RS232-only Panelview? PCMK card won't help much.
The usb or pcmcia issue is only a problem, to my knowledge, when dealing with a PIC (lol, forgot the number and have one).

RS232, even AB DF1, can be done in most cases with a USB or PCMCIA adapter, the real issue is when its a DOS program.

BTW: I do not understand about the PCMCIA Type III only being available on an older laptop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCMCIA

rsdoran said:
The usb or pcmcia issue is only a problem, to my knowledge, when dealing with a PIC (lol, forgot the number and have one).

RS232, even AB DF1, can be done in most cases with a USB or PCMCIA adapter, the real issue is when its a DOS program.

BTW: I do not understand about the PCMCIA Type III only being available on an older laptop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCMCIA

Your question was: "If you have a PCMK card for AB then why do you need a serial port?" And I responded that a serial port is needed for conversing with Micrologix or RS232 panelviews. Did I miss something in the question?

I said: "In my case, the modicon PCMCIA adapter at work is type III and no laptops here but a very old one supports it." The magic word was "here"; so without using the word "here" I meant that the only laptops in our facility that supported type III were some old models. Hope that cleared that up.

js, not really, not trying to be argumentive but Type III is either a 16 or 32 bit card that can usually work (to some extent) in a Type II slot. Type III is newer per se then I or II so not sure why an older laptop would support it and not a newer one.

Just curious, have you tried using it with a type II laptop? As that link shows the only real issue is voltages (3.3 or 5) and type IV cards.

rsdoran said:
js, not really, not trying to be argumentive but Type III is either a 16 or 32 bit card that can usually work (to some extent) in a Type II slot. Type III is newer per se then I or II so not sure why an older laptop would support it and not a newer one.

Just curious, have you tried using it with a type II laptop? As that link shows the only real issue is voltages (3.3 or 5) and type IV cards.

The card I want to use is a 10mm thick type III. My laptop has a single PCMCIA slot for type I & II which are both 5mm thick. The type III is 10mm thick so it physically won't enter the slot on my laptop. Most of the time, laptops come with two type IIs stacked which allow a type III to go in; this doesn't have it. Hence my search for an external method.

Its no big deal, we don't do many Modicon jobs but it would be nice to have when we do.

Thanks guys. The sycard is an option but I wouldn't feel comfortable with all of those circuits exposed while out in the job with metal chips and coolant flying around. I had to read the fine print closely with quatech to discover it doesn't quite fit the bill. As I mentioned, its a rare need so I'll do with the old clunker laptop when I need it. Of course with my luck, someone will drop a big assembly line in my lap tomorrow with Modicon controllers.

I have 3 old clunkers, just in case. Just bought the 3rd at thrift store for $10 plus $2 for the AC adapter, worth that if I junked it on ebay.

rsdoran said:

Why would they make a USB to PCMCIA??
Because the trend in laptops seems to be moving away from PCMCIA slots. So if you have PCMCIA devices such as the very expensive PCMK card it would be nice to continue to use it. Do you have a different alternative for communicating DH+? If so please fill me in and save me a ton of trouble.

rsdoran said:
Ah, but they don't give me what I want. I want PCMK, serial port, 17" monitor, and 512MB video card. I can't get all that which is what led me to posting my original question.

rsdoran said:
To communicate with everything that is not DH+ or DH485 including, but not limited to, select PanelViews, 1394 servo drives, other brand HMIs, MicroLogix, etc.

rsdoran said:
No DOS.

rsdoran said:
It's not just for control work, I use my laptop for all kinds of things. I run a business from it. Financial software, office software, AutoCAD, webcamming the family when out of town instead of running up the phone bill, quoting, PLC and HMI programming, etc.

So, after all that I'm guessing you haven't tried a USB to PCMCIA convertor? LOL.