PF4 on single phase?

califflash

I was wondering if anyone could walk me through how to properly connect a 480v 3phase PF4 to 110v single phase. I am doing some final testing to make sure everything is perfect before I mount my new panel, but I don't have 3phase in my big shop. Just my little (read:cramped) panel building room about 10 minutes away. I believe AB has a tech note on this but I don't have a TechConnect account. Could anyone paraphrase please?

I do not believe you can drive a VFD whose line voltage is rated at 480 on a 120 line. You would need to step up using a transformer OR get a VFD rated and designed for 120 single phase.

120 single phase VFDs are built up to around 2 HP.

IF you drive a VFD designed for 3 phase from single phase you must derate it I believe by 50% (??) check owner manual.

Dan Bentler

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone could walk me through how to properly connect a 480v 3phase PF4 to 110v single phase. I am doing some final testing to make sure everything is perfect before I mount my new panel, but I don't have 3phase in my big shop. Just my little (read:cramped) panel building room about 10 minutes away. I believe AB has a tech note on this but I don't have a TechConnect account. Could anyone paraphrase please?

When I bench test a PowerFlex 40, I use a 208VAC to 480VAC Single Phase Transformer. Then jump one of the Phases over to the other 3 Phase Input. However, I am not loading the VFD with a motor. This should work for you if you are only doing short term testing. If you need a Single-Phase to Three-Phase application, AB makes PF4 models for that application.

Stu....

I do this all the time to check configuration and communications. I use a standard 50VA control transformer and wire the 120Vac to the 120Vac secondary side. The primary is now at 480, I connect this to the L1 and L2 of the Powerflex and it will power the logic and fan just fine. DO NOT connect a motor or try to run one, it will fault rather quickly and could fry the transformer.

On the VFD will be, I believe terminals that you can take 24 volt DC to field devices.

I know this works on the brand of drive we use but it is not PF4.

Those same terminals can, I believe be used to feed 24 volt DC back into the controls card to allow configuration setup screens.

Thanks guys, especially RDS. All I want to do is bench test comms and changing parameters. The panel works as is, but I am working on updating parameters via DH485 and would like to makes sure this works before everything is mounted and hooked up. Its much easier to fix something in the shop than on the plant floor.

Always easier to do this stuff on shop bench. I would pull in 3 phase 480 and other voltages representative of your plant. Otherwise transformer is way to go on a bench top.
DO NOT forget to frame ground stuff even if just a jumper with alligator clips. Yeah I know "it just a test and Im in the shop" but,,,,

Dan Bentler

Always easier to do this stuff on shop bench. I would pull in 3 phase 480 and other voltages representative of your plant. Otherwise transformer is way to go on a bench top.
DO NOT forget to frame ground stuff even if just a jumper with alligator clips. Yeah I know "it just a test and Im in the shop" but,,,,

Dan Bentler

a guys here fried 2 computer's serial port the same evening...(is pc and my old laptop ) because it takes too long to connect the ground...!!!!!!!!
The motor connected to VFD wasn't perfect and put some voltage back to metal case while motor was grounded to vfd but not to the power line....serial port is also grounded....Because PC was grounded to the outlet, it fries it!!!(It fried USB port also)
When he see that is computer weren't working, he used mine and same thing happened....

When i'm not sure of the grounds now, i keep the laptom on battery....!