Photo of a panel made from a fuel container?

danw

Lifetime Supporting Member
Sometime in the past year I recall having seen a photograph posted on some control forum of a panel that appeared to be made from a metal fuel (gasoline, diesel, petrol) container which had been fastened to something like a fence post or a telephone poll with a couple wires hanging from it. As I recall, the photo was taken by whomever posted it from a job done in Asia, China maybe?

Does this ring any bells?

I'm looking for the link to the photo.

Dan

Dan,

I couldn't find the thread, but is this the photo?
telephonepoleenclousurepolethelene.jpg

If thats the picture you are refering to, then I'm the one who took it. It was a circuit breaker panel built in a plastic jug mounted to a pole. Here is where I posted it here but it wasn't that long ago. I originally put it in the gallery at MrPlc not long after I took it in 2006. It's something I encountered while walking along the river bank and found so ...ahem... [tact]unique...[/tact] that I had to take a picture of it.

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=137

Last edited:
That's it ! ! ! Exactly.

Thanks guys. It is inventive in its use the available materiel.

Dan

Looks like it was done by one of the ham fisted wire heads that work for me....lol

I think it might be to many conductors for the NEC's oil cap fill. This makes you want to always have a camera on hand, you know, to take pictures of your handy work for possibly your next job interview.

Everytime you repost this picture someone at OSHA drops dead. I like how they used the filler hole as cable entry. A+ for ingenuity.

Psymon said:
Everytime you repost this picture someone at OSHA drops dead. I like how they used the filler hole as cable entry. A+ for ingenuity.

AFIK, there is no OSHA in China, although I think there is some gradually increasing pressure from the government to improve what are some really dangerous practices. In the meantime, I guess if someone gets zapped there is always someone else looking for a job.

I actually saw lots of worse things there but I wasn't allowed to take pictures in the factory. For example, 380V transformers sitting next to machinery on the factory floor with no enclosure and no insulators around the high voltage terminals In this particular factory there were lots of open knife switches mounted to the wall at about head height as 380V disconnect switches and bare conductors wrapped on ceramic insulating knobs ran all over the walls. Some of these had been tapped by just twisting one wire around the other. There were plenty of other unguarded hazards as well, not just electrical.

Fortunately, we weren't there doing a job, just looking at some machinery purchases. I would hate to imagine having to work with that.

Speaking of unsafe work conditons, how would you like this job? Check out the guy on the back row.

Last edited: