plant/process simulation software

ivo.maenen

A few months ago there was a thread about plant simulation software. I've tried to find this again on this forum but I could not find it.

With plant simulation I mean that you can draw a schematic of your machine/plant and simulate how it works in combination with a plc (see the examples below).

I remember some good looking software for low prices so if somebody can give me some links, thank you.

Example:

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/tecnomatix/plant_design/plant_simulation.shtml

http://images.google.be/imgres?imgu...ion+software&ndsp=20&hl=nl&sa=N&start=20&um=1

There is a application called pics pro, it's made for simulation & probably the best on the market search for SST pics, I have been using this since the mid 90's the latest version is opc compliant, you can create user symbols with code to re-use i.e. motor controller pec flowmeters etc. although the graphics are not as good as say the latest scada packages but it is meant for simulation.
The best way to code the plc is by having two program blocks to copy the I/O to internal flags, use these flags in the program i.e. input I:1/0 = B:3/0 then comment B:3/0 as you would the real I/O during simulation you disable the blocks as then no real I/O is used (some plcs will not let you write to inputs).
In pics you write to inputs & use outputs as you would inputes (obviously this is required for simulation)I have a project that is simulating over 1,400 I/O contains 20 pages of graphics It simulates the plant perfectly, as all times are calculated as if real I/O, this I can adjust the time constant to simulate the processes in half the time or all be it real time.
Be aware this software is expensive but for larger companies is a must.

Pics pro is like a very basic Scada, you create the graphics for example a valve or motor (or you can use the in-built graphic symbols, you can then associate the tags to the symbols, you can also write ladder logic to simulate the I/O
You will also need a communications driver with OPC connectivity, create all your tags in the opc river then import them into the pics project.
It's too involved to explain all the setup required but in a way it's like programming a plc and HMI but the code in the ladder instead of controlling outputs depending on inputs you use the outputs to simulate the inputs i.e.
and O:0/0 start timer and timer set I:1/0 (open limit) Reset I:1/1 (closed limit then the reverse and not O:0/0 Start timer and timer Reset I:1/0 Set I:1/1