PLC 5/03 Fault

In the I/O Configuration in RSLogix 500, you need to specify the rack size and every module in the rack.

Did you put the controller into a different-sized rack recently ?

This is a configuration problem that cannot happen out of the blue unless the chassis or CPU is damaged.

If this is an existing system that simply faulted without being modified or edited, then my conclusion is that the chassis is damaged.

One way to test it would be to create a default program then do an "IO detect" step in RSLogix 500 to see if the software is able to correctly detect the chassis size.

Again, the critical question is: " did you change anything ?"

How do I check the chassis for damage. All of the cards are listed in the rack configuration.

Well that's a good sign, as it indicates the program was written and configured for the hardware you have in the chassis.

BUT, if the processor cannot see all of the modules at run-time, it will FAULT.

So that means it is a HARDWARE issue, the processor cannot see at least one of the modules.

The first thing I would try, is re-seating all the modules in the chassis....

TURN OFF THE POWER to the chassis - SLC modules should not be plugged/unplugged with the power applied.

Take out and put back each module in turn (so you don't get them mixed up. Very often this clears I/O configuration faults.

I tried a new rack with the same modules, the following error is what came up:

xx55 A discrete I/O module required for the user program was detected as having the wrong I/O count, or a specialty card driver is incorrect. This error is recoverable.

This was for the module in slot one, and output module:
xx55 A discrete I/O module required for the user program was detected as having the wrong I/O count, or a specialty card driver is incorrect. This error is recoverable.
1747-0W16 16-output(rely)240vac

That's good troubleshooting !

The 1746-OW16 module may be damaged or defective.

I recommend removing it from the chassis and using RSLogix 500 to disable the slot that it is in.

If the controller can then go into RUN mode without faulting, it is very likely that the 1746-OW16 module is the problem.

40614 - Error S:6=XX55h - I/O module in slot XX which is required for the user program is detected as having the wrong I/O count
Access Level: TechConnect

Make sure the output module in slot 1 is being scanned correctly under I/O configuration > Adv Config. It should only show 1 output word.

I agree, it looks like the output module itself is the culprit. Just check the pins on the module as well in case any look bent or feel loose.

Regards,
George

Adv_IO.jpg