PLC Controlled greenhouse

lancie1

Hey all, sorry I haven't been around much...working. So I haven't had much time, but here is what I have done. I mounted the sub-panel on the wall in my shop. The 2 DIN rails installed, I started placing some of the termination blocks just to see, but thats about it....sucks, but I do have a box full of cool little toys. The lay out is going to work out nice for me, I think, but I still working on the wiring diagram.

So that is what I have done so far, still a work in progress. Thanks for the info on the symbols, all you guys have been so great. I'm kinda shocked at all the help I have gotten. HA HA THANKS

Thanks for the info on the symbols, all you guys have been so great. I'm kinda shocked at all the help I have gotten. HA HA THANKS
We are just a bunch of helpful people. Plus when I got to a certain age, I don't have the energy to actually DO anything myself, but still like to talk about doing it!

When you get your relays, swithces, and power supply in hand, you can figure out the terminal numbers of each contact and coil, and add these numbers to your schematics, similar to this:

L1--L2-----------240 VAC---------------------N
| | |
)---)- CKT. BKR. |
| | 20 AMPS |

| | |
| | 2- POLE SELECTOR |

| | OFF ON GREENHOUSE |
| | 1 __\__ 2 EQUIP. 3 |
|------------------o | o----+-o--( M1 )--o |
| | | | | |
| | 4 __|__ | 3 | |
| +--------------o o-----------------+ |
| | | | |
| | PLC-CONTROLLED | | |
| 1 | RELAY CONTACT 2 | | |
|--------o--| |--o----------+ | |
| | 1 R1-1 3 | |
| | | |
| | PLC-CONTROLLED | |
| 4| RELAY CONTACT 3 | |
| +----o--| |--o-----------------------+ |
| 6 R1-2 8 |

| 1 N |
|---------------+ +------------|
|CKT. BKR. |

)- 2 AMPS |
| |
+24 VDC ------[ DC POWER SUPPLY ]----- -24 VDC
| |
| PLC OUTPUT 5 RELAY COIL 6 |
|---o--| |--o-----------------o--( R1 )--o---|
| C O:2/0 2 7 |
| |

Then when you revise your wiring connnection drawings, you can add these terminal numbers at the correct physical locations, and add wire numbers to your wires.

Last edited:
Any more updates or info on this subject? I'm going to be doing something similar and would like to hear any thoughts on what hardware and sensors others have used to monitor and control temp, humidity, co2, PH, TDS, timers, lights, etc... with success.

I've read some good things about the DL06 and Teco Genie controllers but when it comes to actually picking out a model and the appropriate sensors/relays I've not found a wealth of info.

I don't know how I have missed this thread!!!! Great stuff everyone!!!

I am doing a greenhouse setup with my Organic Alchemy system...A methane Bio-digester, fed with cow poop, inside a heated, clean water filled lagoon, covered with a removable grate floor, inside a greenhouse. The digester provides enough gas to run a generator to power lights, fans, pumps,etc, and the waste heat from the engine heats the lagoon, which radiates heat into the house from the bottom, which promotes more rapid growth...and the effluent is a sterile oder free liquid fertilizer that we call Renure*.

Right now it is running on an AD DO-06 that is in an old panel with a warped door in the open air outside the greenhouse...the plc gets wet in a heavy rain, but has not given me any problems in 4 years...tough equipment!!!

www.organic-alchemy.com

David :site: 🍻 :site:

Last edited:
Wow that sounds like a renewable paradise David! I love the reuse of wastes and heat to further the plant growth. What are you using to control the heat as I imagine it can get quite hot during summer? Any advice on control sensors David?

I have a stand-alone dedicated temp control on each fan, and have them set to stage on as the temp climbs during the day...I have some Omega controls but they are not online as of now...o_O

I have just made the first small tank out of concrete...MUCH easier to make than welding them out of polypro sheet!!!...Now I am looking for someone to make me an inflatable mold to build the full size units...any leads??
o_O :site:

David

.My wife, Teddy, and I are planning to make the move to far northern CA ( Arcata) next year...know anyone that wants a self- supporting 165 acre farm with a 6,000 sq ft old log home????👨🏻‍🏫

Ladder logic

Hello I am currently doing a small project on an automated green house and I am having trouble with lader logic for something very simular. I was just wondering if anyone can help?

Ross,

Welcome to the forum.

I would post to a new, separate post describing what exactly you have for ins and outs, what are all the items you want to control, what is your control platform, and what have you done to this point. We need to know the requirements before we can offer suggestions, many may help but will not do it all for you so that you can learn by doing.

MikeW