PLC Programmers and Travelling.

Any electronics make sure the batteries are fresh or recharged. Some of the smaller airport security screeners make you turn on the devices. Avoid if you can a laptop in checked luggage. I have an old laptop used for S5 that did not survive the last cross country trip probably due to the heavy duty scanner used on checked luggage.

And if all possible send via FedEx or UPS any tools.

I waited till this thread had given some useful information before I got it off track. Back when I used to travel a lot I was doing a startup in Guatemala where some motor sizes were changed and I had to replace five or six motor starters. I was flying out of Guatemala City with the starters to return in my luggage. I was hanging out at my gate waiting for the plain when I hear my name over the loudspeaker followed by some broken english I didn't understand. Walked out in hall and about 50 yards away was a table with my suitcase on it and 3 army guys with automatic weapons standing around it. My first thought was that someone planted drugs in my suitcase or something like that. It was a long walk down to where they were standing which gave me plenty of time to wonder how comortable Guatemala jails are! I opened my suitcase and explained that these were motor starters and not bombs to some guy that appeared to in charge and finally convinced them after what appeared to be an airport maintenance electrician came out and confirmed what I was saying. The young guys with the guns appeared to pretty nervous which didn't help me keep from sweating. I highly recommend not traveling with motor starters in your luggage.

One time my coworker was doing a startup in Mexico. He forgot to carry a memory card for the PLC with him and the plant had one of their junior engineers fly to Atlanta to meet me at the airport and get it from me and then he turned around and flew back. Evidently if you have an international flight into the country and then fly out an hour later you flag the software that you may be a drug smuggler (this before 9/11). This guy got strip searched when he went through the checkpoint getting gack to the gate! Not a good way to build good will with the customer!

Just to add that I recently had to mail my Gerber to myself at the security station because it is a multi-tool with a 3" knife...(forgot to put it in my luggage at the hotel)

I fly out of SeaTac a couple times a month and have had wrenches and wire-strippers confiscated. I once had a bizarre conversation (long before 2001) with the security manager at Montreal about terminal block screwdrivers: "if there was only one, it would be OK. I think you know what I'm talking about." What, did he think I was going to use them for chopsticks ?

All major US airports I've been through (I fly mostly in the West) just require you to screen your laptop separately. I've only had to turn mine on at small fields like Spokane and Missoula.

I prefer to check a tool bag, so I can bring my whole set of tools to the jobsite, even the pointy and edged ones. Some of our field service engineers take the extra step of UPS/FedEX'ing their tools to the destination.

Last summer I met a guy at the local farmer's market who buys tools confiscated at SeaTac in 50 lb. lots and re-sells them at his table. He's my new favorite tool vendor !

I had my little cork screw confiscated in Boston last week. I forgot I had it in my pocket, and there was no way they would let me take it even though it was only 2" long.

At Toronto's Pearson Intl airport, they have a service available to ship your confiscated stuff back to you. I had to laugh when they wanted to charge me $50 to ship a $10 set of side cutters.

Of course I told them to forget it.

Ian

Unless you need to work with the laptop while in flight, which I would doubt, then why not purchase a locking hard travel case? This way you can pack laptop and tools together and check them in or one day ship to your location. A generic hard black case may look like regular luggage or too non descript to warrant special attention plus they are foam lined etc to withstand 1000's of pounds of shock etc.

I worked for an engineering firm doing installs and repairs, would be gone every week with multiple flights daily sometimes. This was pre-911 so I carried my tools etc on but even then it got bad so either checked them in pre-flight or pre-shipped if needed more than I could carry.

I enjoyed flying much better when all I had to carry was myself and a book.

S7 guy,

If only they had the temerity to confiscate small sharp pointy objects at LOGAN in sept of 01.... that place is a disaster! Fly MHT if you can afford to save the extra fare on parking and travel.

I always ship UPS or FedX for anything that would or could be construed or used as a weapon. Inspectors want to drink coffee and be left alone just like us (for the most part).

I flew out of Pearson a little while ago and it was INSANE, great security, but with so many people it was crazy.

My security guy was wearing a turban which struck me odd in Canada (not that there is anything wrong with that)

All in all if you are "clean" going in, you will be fine going out!

Marc

rsdoran said:
Unless you need to work with the laptop while in flight, which I would doubt, then why not purchase a locking hard travel case?

Actually, I always try to work on the plane during flights, especially cross country flights. But even if I didn't, I wouldn't check my laptop in a million years. A couple of times my bags have been left on the tarmac in the pouring rain (thank you Philadelphia!) and a half dozen times in the last few years my bags have been lost for a day or so. And, they specifically recommend that you don't check valuables anyway (a friend of mine had a digital camera swiped from his checked baggage).

They can have everything else, but I keep my laptop by my side ALWAYS.

Marc said:
I flew out of Pearson a little while ago and it was INSANE, great security, but with so many people it was crazy.

My security guy was wearing a turban which struck me odd in Canada (not that there is anything wrong with that)

Marc

Toronto's airport is situated in an area with a large Indian/Pakistani population. Is just the demographics of the area, airport is a large employer, most of the employees live close to the airport.

Ian

It should have been a side note:

Like I said,
Not thare is anything wrong with that,

As a US citizen, it just seemed funny, Perves Musharef (sic) is one of our best (only) allies in the area, I go to a little store down the street which is owned by a pakistani national (he likes to be called "z") "zEE"s quick stop. He gets P.O.ed when someone singles him out for a line up and he LOOKS LIKE A terrorist! but he understands it!

I look like Timothy McVey. (sic) But I don't act like him! I would want everyone to watch me like they woould watch him in the future.arc

No more rant

Marc

PS I have a funeral thingy to go to, so forgive me

Ken Roach said:
I fly out of SeaTac a couple times a month and have had wrenches and wire-strippers confiscated. I once had a bizarre conversation (long before 2001) with the security manager at Montreal about terminal block screwdrivers: "if there was only one, it would be OK. I think you know what I'm talking about." What, did he think I was going to use them for chopsticks ?

All major US airports I've been through (I fly mostly in the West) just require you to screen your laptop separately. I've only had to turn mine on at small fields like Spokane and Missoula.

I prefer to check a tool bag, so I can bring my whole set of tools to the jobsite, even the pointy and edged ones. Some of our field service engineers take the extra step of UPS/FedEX'ing their tools to the destination.

Last summer I met a guy at the local farmer's market who buys tools confiscated at SeaTac in 50 lb. lots and re-sells them at his table. He's my new favorite tool vendor !

I also fly out of Sea-Tac. I flew to RDM (Redmond/Bend, OR) this past week, and I made it a point to leave my usual complement of panel tools in my Pelican computer case, along with all my cables and converters, just to see what would happen. Usually I put them in my checked luggage just to avoid a search, but sometimes I forget, without incident. There are two flathead terminal screwdrivers, one stripper, and one small end nip. They did not even open the case, which is the norm for me. I have still never had to turn on my laptop to date, spanning over 120 flights. I have only had my carry-on bag checked when I carried on an actual tool bag. They even did that pre-2001. I have never had to surrender anything because I have never attempted to bring anything prohibited on board.

I guess everyone's experiences are different.