PLC to PLC using DH+?

I got the idea to use DH+ to connect 2 PLCs together.

One PLC is a ControlLogix 8.02. And the other is a ControlLogix 32.02

Are there any examples of the MSG configuration for this?

I'm reading the 1756-UM514c-en-p User Manual. And, I'm starting to wonder if this is a good idea. Or if I should look at some Ethernet options. I see lots of that being done.

What cards are in the racks? Do you have Ethernet cards or DH/RIO? MSG over Ethernet would be easier

What cards are in the racks? Do you have Ethernet cards or DH/RIO? MSG over Ethernet would be easier
These are DH/RIO cards.

1756-DHRIO

The only ethernet port that I have available on the 8.02 PLC (Full 17 slot rack) is connected to the plant network. I'm not sure what ethernet port the CIP protocol would use over Ethernet. ANd, I typically try to stay off of their network.

The 32.02 PLC I can use one of many ethernet ports.

How many nodes are on the DH+? have you thought about using a DH+ Gateway?

8.02 is your firmware correct? what is the processor PN? maybe upgrading the 8.02 to a newer CPU that has a built in Ethernet port

No, I would change out the CPU to a L7 or L8 and have it match the firmware in the other CPU so 32.xx or better yet.... whatever you have in the other so you only need to have one spare on the shelf as a backup for both CPU's

This Communication Link is meant to be temporary. When the old stations from the old PLC are fully transitioned to the new PLC. The 8.02 PLC is going away. Only the new 32.02 PLC will stay.

Then... I would look at the 17 slot rack and see if there are any card you can double up, do you have any 8 point IO or 16 point cards you can double, if you have a OW8 can you make that a OW16 and free up a slot and add a ENBT and if not I would still look at getting a used L81 and call it done.

You never answered how many nodes are on the DH+, not sure how much data you will be moving but that maybe an issue

We've used the DH/RIO to upgrade the PLC5 only and preserve the PLC5 I/O racks. Then it's just messaging from there IIRC.

I decided to use Ethernet and not DH+. But, now I have a strange DH+ issue. This 8.02 PLC has 5 old Panelviews using DH+. And, because I didn't know what I was doing. I downloaded a program to the PLC. After downloading the program to the PLC. The HMIs would not communicate back to the PLC. Cycling power seemed to help. But, It happened again later.

Do I need to reconfigure my DHRIO card every time that I download a PLC program to the PLC? New Routing Table? If so, I need walked through the steps. I have no experience with DH+

Thanks.

No but you need to watch the node addresses I crashed the network before and I downloaded the wrong program before... not fun

I never had issue with the DHRIO as they hold the configuration in them even if you change the CPU program