PLC5 Rack As RIO For ControlLogix

Ken Roach said:
This is pretty common, and fairly straightforward. Having the I/O configuration is a crucial first step.

You can't use 32-point cards with 2-slot addressing, so that's out. Is there a gap somewhere in your slot assignment description ? I'd expect the 32-bit Output card to be adjacent to a 32-bit Input or an empty slot if you are using 1-slot addressing.

Do you know how the current chassis is configured ?

I am very familiar with both the PLC5 and ControLogix platform, so I thought this was going to be an easy conversion.

I set the switches on the adapter/chassis for 1/2 slot addressing, and set the PLC to scan for 3 Racks of i/o. All the settings are for 57.6kbaud. Wiring between the RIODH+ card and the adapter is correct, with termination resistors at each end.

The interesing thing was that when the original settings did not show a link light, I began to "play" with the switches and when setting for 2 slot addressing, I was able to get a link light. the PLC noted that there was an error due to a card not in the correct location (which was true 2 slot addressing).

I also tried setting the adapter/chassis for Rack 0 and then for Rack 1. I tried scanning for Rack 0-2 and for 1-3 in both cases without success.

Without the autoconfigure feature like the plc5 has its difficult to determine what the scanner is "seeing" at any given time.

Michael

I prefer DIP switch settings and screenshots as the most helpful information. Often when you're working through a configuration issue, the settings you think you made aren't the settings you actually made.

"The PLC noted there was an error due to a card being in the wrong location"... could you expound on that ? The ControlLogix and 1756-DHRIO should not display any details about the cards in the 1771 chassis.

This is a pretty straight forward upgrade and several of the people here have already done it.

I'm with Ken. Provide dip switch settings, the rack layout, and logix5000 I/O config, and you will get a definitive response.

The dip switch settings on the ASB and chassis backplane are a bit tricky. I've seen plenty of knowledgable people get them wrong.

One more point. On the RIO connection at the DHRIO module, note that terminal 1 is at the bottom of the connector, not at the top like on a PLC5.

Good luck,

Michael,
we haven't as yet physically carried out the upgrade, we decided to leave it until the new year. At present we are converting the PLC code and should then begin the physical conversion within the next month or so. I will come back and advise you of any difficulties or findings that may be of use to you.

This is not as dificult as some are making it.

I have upgraded many systems to CLX, and retained the original 1771 I/O chassis and modules. All existing 1771 I/O functionality can be accomodated by the CLX and the DHRIO module.

The first thing to realise is that all the I/O hardware is already configured, and successfully running RIO protocol, so don't go playing with any of the Dip-Switches on the 1771-ASB's or the chassis backplanes. (the exception is the chassis where you're putting a new ASB in place if a PLC, you will need to set the backplane switches for an ASB).

Secondly, you do not need to enter all the 1771 I/O modules into the I/O Configuration tree in the CLX project. So long as there is a 1771-ASB entered, the I/O system will work because the ASB assembles the 8 Input/8 Output images. (exception : you need to put in any modules that BTW/BTR).

If you are not getting the I/O recognised it will almost certainly be a configuration issue in the CLX, either the DHRIO configuration or the entries in the I/O configuration tree. Remember, everything from your RIO connection at the PLC outwards all worked before on your 1771 I/O scanner.

HTH

I may be off base but -

Couldn't you set up the 5/25 as a remote rack to the CLX? This would allow keeping the existing 5/25 program and I/O config. The amount of data passed may be a factor tho'.

Just a thought.

Couple things to check. Make sure that the 3 suitcase jumpers are set on the left 2 pins on the 1771-ASB (32 point IO). Another thing that we ran into a couple of years ago when we converted our PLC5 master rack into RIO was an undocumented feature of the 1756-DHRIO.

When we tried to set the card up to use Channel B up as RIO at 57.6, we noticed that Channel A would stay set to 230. After many calls to Tech Support & attempts to reflash the firmware, we set Channel A to 57.6 and things started working. Ultimately we moved to Channel A and at the suggestion of one of the numerous people that I talked to, they had me flash the card to an earlier revision & then back up.

The first time I tried using 1771 discrete I/O to a ContolLogix over RIO I had a similar problem with link lights; in addition only the inputs worked. My mistake was not to configure the CLX I/O tree with a 1771-ASB for each Rack even though there was only one ASB in the Chassis (there were no cards in the second rack so it never occured to me to do it.)

NOP : Not putting all the logical Rack addresses into the I/O Trees is usually the cause of things not working. I should have mentioned this in my earlier post, but thought it was so obvious it didn't need saying.

Assuming the RIO was working before the changeover to CLX, there should be absolutely no need to modify any ASB or Chassis DIP-switches or jumpers (exception noted in earlier post).

Take the view that the physical I/O at the other end of the "blue hose" doesn't know who is talking to it, a PLC3 I/O scanner, a 5250-RS, a PLC5 RIO port, or a DHRIO port configured as RIO, or anything else that talks RIO protocol.

The I/O Config tree in CLX requires an entry for every logical rack address in the system, not just physical racks (eg. 16-slot chassis as 2 logical racks), even if there are no cards in the I/O slots.

The CLX DHRIO configuration dialog allows you to set 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or Full Racks if you use 4, 8, 12, or 16-slot chassis in any addressing mode - just make sure there is a tree entry for all rack addresses, and that the entries are for the correct size to match the logical racks in the system.

e.g. 12-slot chassis - set for 1-slot addressing, ASB adaptor dip-switches set for Rack 12.

This is actually a Full Rack at address 12, AND a 1/2 Rack at address 13.

Put both these logical racks in the I/O tree in CLX, correctly sized of course, even though there is only one ASB adaptor.

After the first time we changed from Plc5 to Logix's we found it much easier to change all analog to Logix base because of the difficulty in setting the cards up. It all has to be done manualy but with the Logix's i\o you will have the menus again

I am very familiar with both the PLC5 and ControLogix platform, so I thought this was going to be an easy conversion.

I set the switches on the adapter/chassis for 1/2 slot addressing, and set the PLC to scan for 3 Racks of i/o. All the settings are for 57.6kbaud. Wiring between the RIODH+ card and the adapter is correct, with termination resistors at each end.

The interesing thing was that when the original settings did not show a link light, I began to "play" with the switches and when setting for 2 slot addressing, I was able to get a link light. the PLC noted that there was an error due to a card not in the correct location (which was true 2 slot addressing).

I also tried setting the adapter/chassis for Rack 0 and then for Rack 1. I tried scanning for Rack 0-2 and for 1-3 in both cases without success.

Without the autoconfigure feature like the plc5 has its difficult to determine what the scanner is "seeing" at any given time.

Michael

Something very similiar is happening to me. I want to set the addressing as 1 slot, but with this setting I can only read digital inputs, I can't activate any digital output. Moreover, the Active led of the 1771-ASB is always off. Only when I set the backplane dip switch as 2 slot addressing the green Active led goes on, and with this configuration I can activate the digital outputs. But this is not what I need, I need 1 slot addressing...

I always set the PLC (ControlLogix 1756-L63) according to the backplane addressing setting.

Can anybody help me?

Best regards

Fernando

Greetings Fernando ...

we can give you detailed help - if you can tell us more about your system ... I probably have enough gear in my lab to duplicate the setup and post the complete answer for you ... but to do that, we need to know EXACTLY how your system is configured ...

you probably have a 1771-ASB Adapter Module in the remote chassis ... we need to know the Series (A/B/C/etc.) of that module ... also, how big is the chassis? ... we also need to know ALL of the various modules that you have installed in the chassis – and the order in which you have them installed ...

IMPORTANT: please LETTER the slots from left-to-right in your reply ... for example use A-B-C, etc. and NOT 0-1-2, etc. ... that will help remove the ambiguity of two-slot, one-slot, half-slot addressing modes, etc. ...

example:

Slot A = 1771-ASB/D
Slot B = 1771-IAD
Slot C = etc.

we need to know how ALL of the DIP switches are set on the ASB module ... we also need to know how ALL of the DIP switches are set on the chassis backplane (located BEHIND - but NOT on - the ASB module) ... please tell us which switches are ON and which ones are OFF ...

are any other chassis/components also connected to this same Remote I/O channel? ...

once we have that information, we will be in a pretty good position to help you solve your problem ... we look forward to hearing from you again soon ...

Ron, first of all thank you for your answer and help!

Yes, you are right, I am using a 1771-ASB Series E. The whole topology is one 1756-A7 chassis (7 slots), where I have a 1756-L63 processor, next a 1756IB16 module (not used in these tests, it can be removed if needed) and a 1756DHRIO E. On the other hand I have the remote I/O 12 slots rack. I have everything on a local laboratory in my office.

Remote I/O Chassis data:

The chassis has 12 slots (i.e. in the first slot you insert the 1771-ASB, then there are other 12 slots left).

Next I list the slots of the chassis:

Slot A = 1771-ASB
Slot B = 1771-OW16 B
Slot C = Empty
Slot D = Empty
Slot E = Empty
Slot F = Empty
Slot G = Empty
Slot H = Empty
Slot I = Empty
Slot J = Empty
Slot K = Empty
Slot L = Empty
Slot M = Empty

Switchs set using User Manual Cat. No. 1771-ASB Series E

DIP Switchs on the ASB module:
Figure 2.7 - Module Switch Assembly Settings for PLC-5 Family, SLC and ControlLogix Processors With Complementary I/O

S1 switchs:
switch 1 ON --- must be always ON
switch 2 ON --- must be always ON
switch 3 ON --- Primary chassis
switch 4 ON \
Switch 5 ON |- I/O Rack # 1
Switch 6 OFF /
switch 7 ON \
|- First I/O Group Number 0
Switch 8 ON /

S2 Switchs:
Switch 1 OFF \
|- 230.4 K Baud
Switch 2 ON /
Switch 3 ON --- Primary chassis
Switch 4 OFF --- all slots
Switch 5 OFF --- unrestricted
Switch 6 OFF --- must be always OFF

DIP Switch on the chassis backplane (located BEHIND - but NOT on - the ASB module):
Figure 2.11 - I/O Chassis Backplane Switch Assembly Settings for Remote Adapter Module in PLC-5 Family, SLC and ControlLogix Processor Systems in Remote Configuration

Switch 1 OFF --- outputs of this I/O chassis are deenergized when a fault is detected
Switch 2 ON --- processor can restart I/O chassis
Switch 3 OFF --- must be always OFF
Switch 4 OFF --- must be always OFF
Switch 5 OFF \
|- 1/2-slot addressing
Switch 6 ON /
Switch 7 OFF --- must be always OFF
Switch 8 OFF --- must be always OFF

ControlLogix 1756-L63 Data:

1756DHRIO Settings:

Switch 1: 1 --- (channel A as RIO Scanner)
Switch 2: 0 \
|- Channel A address 6
Switch 3: 6 /
Switch 4: 0 \
|- Channel B address 2
Switch 5: 2 /
Switch 6: 1 --- (channel B as RIO Scanner - not used)

ControlLogix Configuration:

On my I/O Configuration I have, first of all (slot 0) the 1756-L63 processor, next (slot 1) the 1756-IB16 module and finally (slot 2) I have the 1756-DHRIO/D RIO module.

1756-DHRIO/D RIO properties:

Tab General:
Slot: 2
Channel A: Type RIO, Baud Rate 230.4K
Channel B: Type RIO, Baud Rate 57.6K (Not used)
Revision: 6 1 Electronic Keying: Compatible Keying

Tab Connection:
RPI: 25.0

Under 1756-DHRIO Module I have CHA, Remote I/O and CHB, Remote I/O.

Under CHA I added a module: A <001 0 1>1771-ASB

A <001 0 1>1771-ASB properties:

Tab General:
Rack # (octal): 1
Starting Group: 0
Size: Full Rack (8 I/O Groups)

Tab Connection:
RPI: 48.0

With this system, I go online on RSLogix 5000 and I see the ASB module running with no errors, with leds on DHRIO module as next described:
CH A ON Green
CH B OFF
OK ON Green

The three leds on 1771-ASB module are off.

I have connected the 82 ohms resistors on both sides of the wiring, the wiring is ok.

Note: If I add a digital input module (1771-IBD B), I can see succesfully monitoring the Controller Tags, but nevertheles the ASB active led is never ON.

If you need any other thing, don't hesitate

Thank you very much!

Greetings

Fernando

I've got another big project that just landed in my lap and it will be AT LEAST three or four days before I can try this out ...

but ...

here's what I suggest so far:

first of all use Table 2.6 (not 2.7) ... since you only have one chassis you are not using Complementary I/O ...

on the ASB change S2-3 from ON to OFF ...

your first post said that you need to use 1-slot addressing ... but you're setting the switches on the chassis backplane for 1/2-slot addressing ... what's going on there? ...

when you add this hardware to your I/O Configuration list in the ControlLogix, you'll probably need to add it as TWO separate chassis entries ...

with 1-slot addressing, you'll probably end up having one FULL rack (slots B through I) – and also one additional HALF rack (slots J through M) ...

something like this:

<001 0 1> ... and also ...
<002 0 1/2>

I'm a little confused on why you only have ONE module installed in the chassis ... maybe you're "building as you go" and this is the first step? ... or ? ... once you plug in some modules we can start nailing down the bit addresses for them ...

anyway, I'd start with these changes and see if it helps ... sorry I don't have more time to play right now – but duty calls ...

I just changed S2-3 from ON to OFF, as table 2.6 says, and changed the Rack # from 1 to 0, but everything seems to work as before...

About 1-slot addressing - 1/2-slot addressing: I don't understand very well the RIO addressing and size rack... I was searching for a RIO pdf or tutorial or any related document, in order to fully understand the whole thing, but I still can't find them.

I have just ONE module installed in the chassis for the above reason, just to understand how RIO works. I have 4 modules to play with: 16 points Digital inputs, 16 points Digital ouputs, 16 points Analog inputs and 8 points Analog outputs. I started with digital inputs, and I could read them succesfully, then I continued with digital outputs, but I can't activate them. Only when I achieve to activate outputs I will try with analog modules, and then everything together.

I really appreciate your time and help Ron!

Best regards

Fernando