PLC5 Rack As RIO For ControlLogix

It is really odd, if I set the backplane dip switch as 2-slot addressing, and configure in RSLogix 5000 the ASB Size as 3/4-Rack (6 I/O Groups) accordingly, I can activate the digital outputs. But when I change back to 1-slot addressing and fullrack size, I can't activate the outputs anymore. Moreover, with 2-slot addressing, the Active led of the ASB module is turned on (or blinking if I disconnect the communication wires), but with 1-slot addressing all three leds are always turned off. I can't understand why it only works with 2-slot addressing setting...

suggestion: put ALL of the digital modules in the chassis - and tell us (by LETTERS) how you have them arranged (by CATALOG numbers please) ... I'll try to look at this later today if I have time - or some other forum member will probably be by to help ...

if you can get SOME of the modules to work - then the communication part is working ... now we just need to nail down the addressing piece of the puzzle ...

Ok, done, I just put three digital modules:

A: CAT. NO. 1771-OW16 B REV. F03 - ELECTROMECHANICAL CONTACT - OUTPUT MODULE
B: CAT. NO. 1771-IBD B REV. E03 - INPUT MODULE - 10-30VDC
C: CAT. No. 1771-ID16 A REV. G03 - ISOLATED 120V AC - INPUT MODULE

It was done with 1-slot addressing and fullrack size.

I can read the inputs activated on the input modules on ASB:I.Data[1] and ASB:I.Data[2]. But while bits set on ASB:O.Data[0], the outputs on the module never are activated. I want to recall that all of the leds of the ASB are always turned off, but with 2-slot addressing the Active led turns on, and the digital outputs are activated.

Here there is an screenshot of RSLogix 5000 online:
http://clip2net.com/s/Wry1

Any suggestions are very wellcome!

Thank you!

Fernando

something's not right ... if the I/O modules are in slots A, B, and C - then where is the ASB adapter module? ...

I think that I know what you meant to say - but we really need to make sure that we're talking about the same things/slots/modules here ...

let's don't confuse the issue with a miscommunication between us ... the very first slot at the left end of the chassis is "LETTER A" ... that's where the ASB module goes ... the next slot to the right is "LETTER B" ... what's in that slot? ... and so on ...

I might have time to dig through this tonight ...

Sorry, you are right, here again the modules list:

A: CAT. NO. 1771-ASB E - REMOTE I/O ADAPTER - MODULE
B: CAT. NO. 1771-OW16 B REV. F03 - ELECTROMECHANICAL CONTACT - OUTPUT MODULE
C: CAT. NO. 1771-IBD B REV. E03 - INPUT MODULE - 10-30VDC
D: CAT. No. 1771-ID16 A REV. G03 - ISOLATED 120V AC - INPUT MODUL

And thank you again!

Ron, I think I'm starting to understand RIO... In RSLogix 5000 I added a new ASB module under the I/O Configuration tree, with Rack # 2, Starting Group 0, and Size 1/2 Rack. With just that change the Active green led of the ASB turned on, and the digital outputs went activated!

The next step is to play with analog inputs and outputs. So far the only thing I know is that ladder code is needed to read and write...

So Ron, I want to thank you for all your time and help!

Best regards

Fernando

the analog is a BIG step ... are you going to need help on that part? ... if so, here's a quick "what lies ahead" rundown of the biggest pieces of the puzzle ...

you need to program MSG (Message) commands in the ControlLogix to emulate the original Block Transfer Read and Block Transfer Write commands that the PLC-5 used in order to communicate with the analog module ...

a sizeable problem is determining what data words (bit patterns) you need to send to the module to get it "configured" ... the older RSLogix5 software would help you determine those bit patterns ... the newer RSLogix5000 software will NOT ...

quick question: did you have a previously working PLC-5 system which used those same analog modules? ... (please say "yes") ... if so, if you can post the RSP file we can show you how to re-use the existing bit patterns ... if you do NOT have a previously working copy of a PLC-5 program, then we can still get it done – it's just more steps ...

anyway ... sounds like you're happy with the digital part ... that's good ... suggestion: post the DIP switch settings that are working for you – and a screen shot (or better yet the entire ACD file) for the ControlLogix settings ... you don't need to post the fancy "what the switches" mean documentation – just ON-OFF-ON, etc. ...

we'll need that information in order to nail down the analog modules ...

and (of course) we'll need the catalog numbers (example: 1771-IFE/B) for the analog modules – and (of course) which SLOT LETTERS you'll be inserting them into ... and one more thing – 1771-IFE modules have JUMPERS inside them ... you'll need to deal with those too ... how much of this stuff are you already familiar with? ...

congratulations on getting the digital modules to work ...

secret handshake: the word "RACK" is defined as 8 words of input table AND 8 words of output table ... (16 bits per word) ... so your 12-slot chassis could be set up as:

3/4 of a RACK if you're using TWO-slot addressing ... or ...
1 and 1/2 RACKS if you're using ONE-slot addressing ... or ...
3 full RACKS if you're using HALF-slot addressing ...

if you need help understanding that part I'll show you how to "map" the layout of your setup – once you send me DIP switch settings that you're using ...

Ron, I could manage to read from the analag input module and write to the analog output module succesfully, mainly because I have the original PLC5 program, so the configuration wasn't a problem.

So I think, at least by now, I finished with the I/O tests. The next step is to add redundancy...

Ron, once again, I really appreciate your help! It's easy to understand you.

Best regards!

Fernando