Point IO revision confusion

bpcomp

I am working on some documentation in preparation for updating firmware around our plant. On one particular PLC, the point IO has two different revision numbers listed and I don't understand the difference.
2023-08-09 10_06_25-Logix Designer - Edge_Finishing in Edge_Finishing_2021_08_26.ACD [1769-L18ER.png

2023-08-09 10_06_53-Logix Designer - Edge_Finishing in Edge_Finishing_2021_08_26.ACD [1769-L18ER.png

So on the general tab, the revision is 5.001. On the Module Info tab, the revision is 6.011.

On the Rockwell online Multi Product Compare tool, there is Series A, B, and C which I would guess are hardware versions. There is also a drop down with several revision numbers listed. There is a 5.019, 6.011 (current in module info), 6.012, 6.013, 7.011, and 7.013.

So what is 5.001? Does this mean that the Point IO has a firmware of 6.011 but as added to the PLC as if it was 5.001? If so, why does it work? Please help me understand.

Possibly the 5.001 is the module adaptor hardware revision and the revision shown in the module info is the version of AOP installed.

One way to possibly tell is to left click the icon in top left corner of the AENT properties panel and select "About Module Profile".

If I understand this question, The module revision (6.001) at module info is real module version for 1734-AENT, you can confirm it by using RSLinx.

If you press the [Change...] button on the General tab, you'll be able to change the Minor Rev to pretty much whatever you want, whether there an existing minor rev firmware or not. There is no error checking on Minor Rev., other than to give that satisfying "Match" status when both the Major and Minor revs agree with what's connected.

IIRC, you will not be able to change the Major Rev. online; you need to change it offline and download to the PLC.

As to "Why does it work?": the firmware hasn't changed so much that the basic data structure has changed. That's why your ver. 5 is configuration is working, even though it's firmware ver. 6.

But if you had a Series C but were configured for a Series B, then there might be some element(s) in the Local:I, :O, or :C tag that wouldn't match the module, and thus comms wouldn't work because the PLC couldn't be sure how to map, say 10 words of data from the device to 9 words of data in the configuration.

Last edited:
So I looked at "About Module Profile" and it says the software version installed is 6.03.09.0. I don't know how that corresponds to the revision numbers.