POLL for SELF EMPLOYED, Do You Have Insurance?

Do you "Independant Contractors" have Liability Insurance?

• NO INSURANCE

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Yes, I Do

Votes: 24 66.7%

• Total voters
statements to the effect that that amount and/or type would be insufficient for programming PLCS for industrial and commercial machinery control.

You may be referring to this thread.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=29767

Now I am being requested to do some programming and installs of drives and PLCs. Do I need an insurance upgrade?

You should talk to your insurance agent and review exactly what is covered by your existing policy. Worker's Compensation insurance covers you and your employees for injuries sustained on the job. General liability covers your business if a customer claims you failed to deliver what you promised. General Liability also covers your business if someone falls down and gets injured while visiting your office. General liability probably does not cover consequential damage, such as a customer's lost production if you fail to meet a delivery deadline. Professional liability covers your business if someone is injured as a result of a defect in something you provided.

When you talk to your agent, have a list of specific incidents and ask whether or not the policy covers you for them. Before you have that talk, read your policy's coverages and exceptions and compile a list of questions about any sections you don't completely understand.

I dread to think what "failure to perform" insurance might cost , generally in the UK , the only insurance possibly affordable is insurance required by statute , such as employers liability and premises insurance - I am not sure you could even get insurance for consequential or "general liability " losses - lets face it , half the world would end up claiming against some contractors ..........

I appreciate your comments. I went out of business because I was tired of paying the extortion money to insurance companies. Yes insurance is great when something goes wrong, but things are out of hand. Sadly many small businesses will fold up because Uncle Sam has his hand out, insurance companies have their hand out, the inspectors have their hands out, etc. If I work I try to keep some for my hands, but the funds disappear at an alarmig rate just for the pleasure of being in business.

Anyone who works in this sue happy world..(espicialy the USofA would be insane to work without insurance..just imagine you are programming a kids toy dispenser or something equally non threatening and a kid trips and breaks his leg on your extension cord..

The plant i work at requires 5 million..if i screw something up and they cant run i have about 24 hours to fix it before my insurance runs out and i am on the street...

d