Porting Ethernet/IP code from CLX to PLC5

I trhink his problem was not enough ports to the serial devices... xport looks like a second ethernet connection... but its only connected on the enet side he has no [port to connect the device side to.

shrug

Actually, part of my problem is that I need for the data to be transferred over the Ethernet port directly... For several reasons.

1) On a lot of the PLC 5's, the serial port is already in use for various other devices. It would be a substantial amount of code to re-write. Over the years, people have modified the individual lines so for every PLC that is already using it's serial port. That code may have been written by a different person.

2)At some point in the future, those PLC5's will be replaced with Compact Logix. At that point, I'd rather be going through the ethernet.

3) Sending the message out the serial port would require additional code to determine which device was being addressed.

DATA Storm...beware at least on the enet side.

http://kb.iu.edu/data/aibq.html

Over the years, people have modified the individual lines so for every PLC that is already using it's serial port.

So there was no overall plan.... its nice to have to step in and clean up someone elses mess isnt it?

LOL,

Well in 2007, when somebody is working on PLC5 code... It's going to be cleanup work....Fortunatly, there is no PLC2 code. :)

Have you tried to work with your IT? Are they totally refusing to listen?

I have been in similar situations. In one of those, I actually got very frustrated and started calling them IT Nazi's. That was when they finally started listening. Infrastructure changes started to happen. I do not recommend this. I do, however, recommend you gather hard data (it is freely available) and start talking with them. They will come around. Especially when you start reminding them that when there are networking issue in the middle of the night, THEY will need to handle it when production is down. You would be amazed how quickly they come around.

David

I missed seeing the first PLC when on vacation in Florida...there is one or two mounted on the crawler they use to move the shuttle.

I dont remember if it was designated PLC1 or just PLC

but imagine if you will a school locker full of relays and voia la!

I know you may not want to change hardware on the serial hardware, but have you looked the setup from Real Time Automation(RTA). It supports PLC-5, SLC and Logix processors. The info is here http://www.rtaautomation.com/ethernetip/435nba/

I am not associated with them. Learned about them here and we have developed an embedded product that uses the same EtherNet/IP library that they use in the product linked to above. The library supports PCCC and we have found RTA's code to be solid and perform very well. You can search for it on PLCS.net and people that have used it seem to be very happy.

Hope this helps,

Darren