Powerflex 753 with Ethernet Monitoring from PLC

mattmc97

Hello all...

Have a Powerflex 753 with an Ethernet card communication with a L19ER processor.

Here is my setup...

Local AB PLC will control the Remote VFD drive using Start/Run Level Input on DI1.
2 Wire control, DI1 On = RUN, DI1 Off = Stop
4-20ma Input on AI0 for speed reference input

All monitoring over Ethernet.

I can start drive, I can stop drive, I can reset Faults over Ethernet, I can view Faults, Run Status over Ethernet

So this is 98% working...

I can't figure out how to get VFD Ready to come on over Ethernet. When viewing the documentation it is because I have a Bit 4 STOP on P 933 Start Inhibits.

I did find this in the manual after searching for several hours on this problem...

Run Level (1) As long as a separate Stop command is not issued, the
level alone (no rising edge required) determines whether the drive runs.
When set to 1 Run Level the absence of a run command is indicated as a stop asserted and P935 [Drive Status 1] Bit 0 is low.

When I have Stop Asserted apparently that will also trigger the Start Inhibit which deactivates the Drive Ready Bit.

I would really like to have the VFD Ready Bit work (DriveStatus_Ready) so I can let the user know the drive is Ready to Start / No Problems.

Is there a way to get DriveStatus Ready or another bit that I can monitor other than NOT Fault ?

Last edited:
It sounds like you want to use digital inputs to control the drive, but monitor over Ethernet, correct?

At a glance through the manual it looks as if you would need to convert to 3-wire control, using separate momentary start/stop signals and setting P150 to Run Edge (0). As the section you quoted states, if you are providing a constant run signal then the absence of that run signal is considered a Stop command which will set drive status to not ready.

I actually don't think it is possible to get a VFD_XX:I.DriveStatus_Ready with a 2 wire mode. After working on this for 4+ hours, I finally changed to 3 wire mode. Ran another wire from my PLC for a maintained Stop signal and the VFD_XX:I.DriveStatus_Ready works just fine.

I guess it is viewed as a safety feature. Not sure.

For those in the future that might see this post...

Change DI 1 to Stop Input (Maintained)
Change DI 2 to Start

Di 1 has to be maintained CLOSED for READY, and to start and run the drive
Open Di 1 to Stop the drive or to prevent start

Di2 apparently can be a momentary or maintained signal from PLC. I have sent both and it works fine.

Drive Settings
P158 DI Stop DI 1
P161 DI Start DI 2
P150 Dig In CFG Edge

Yes, to post above. The manual is not clear on that however.

Maybe you have already resolved this but I typically start/run through a digital input, receive a contact signal for Ready, monitor the DriveStatus_Ready bit and use 2 wire control.

VFD1.JPG VFD2.JPG