Problem setting up com port in DirectSoft

rwy34ils

I am installing DirectSoft Ver 5 (Direct Logic) in my new laptop. When I go to set up the communications link between the laptop and the PLC, the list only shows COM 1 and COM 2 as available choices for serial communications. My old laptop shows COM 1 to 4.

I am using the same installation CD as I used for the old laptop.

Has anyone seen this before? I need to use COM 4 with the new PC. COM 4 is listed in the Windows hardware device manager on the new computer.

Last edited:
I am using a PC Card comm port. In fact, it is the same one I had in the old laptop---I just moved it over. So I'm using the same version of DirectSoft and the same comm card, same OS (Win XP Pro).

I installed Rockwell Factory Talk Machine Edition (with RSLinx Enterprise) on this laptop too. Any chance that is it messing things up?

I agree with Mickey's comment above. My directsoft version only gives me COM Ports 1 & 2 to select. Have you tried upload a fresh program from the PLC (Koyo?). This may reset your COM Port path?

Also make sure that Linx is not running as a Service. It will hold your Com Port big time.

This doesn't make any sense. I think I am losing it.

I turned off the RSLinx, uninstalled the DirectSoft, rebooted and reinstalled the DirectSoft. Same thing. The old computer shows COMS 1 to 4 but the new one only lists COM 1 and 2 as available choices.

Can't use Jarrod's advice to upload from a PLC because I can't connect at all.

Do you have version 5.3 or earlier than 5.3? The release notes mention that 5.3 reenable comm ports 3 and 4 by default. Maybe you installed a service pack on the old computer that you didn't on the new?

Brian

What is this PC card comm port you have?
What does device manager show? ( what comm port does the "PC card take?)

Have you tried to reassign the comm port for the "PC card"?

I'm using a "Socket Serial I/O" card that plugs into the PC slot. When installed, it defaults to COM 4. The device manager recognises it as COM 4.

If I try to change the COM setting I get the following pop-up error message:

"RUNDLL: An exception occurred..."