Problem with Interlock tags in Studio 5000

squiggz

Hi,
This morning I attempted to add a good bit of communication between a few of our PLCs. For the most part, everything worked fine, except for one instance. I have one invalid connection fault between two of the PLCs and I can't figure out what I did wrong.

I added the modules to the ethernet configuration. One has a 1756-L72S Safety Controller, which you can't add manually, so I added the ethernet bridge it is connected to and found it from there. The other one is a 1756-L83E controller and I had no problem adding it to the 1756-L72S.

My tags for the 1756-L72S:
consumed: InterlockFromBBT1 (connection: BBT_Skid:InterlockToCanFiller1)
produced: InterlockToBBT1

Tags for 1756-L83E:
consumed: InterlockFromCanFiller1 (connection: Can_Filler:InterlockToBBT1)
produced: InterlockToCanFiller1

I get the module fault on the 1756-L83E that says (Code 16#0117) Connection Request Error: Invalid connection point. Symbol: InterlockToBBT1.
I've double checked and it looks right to me. I've even erased the tags and started over, but it still gives me the same error.

My only thought maybe there is something extra I have to with connecting the 1756-L72S w/ the ethernet bridge to make the tags work?

Any advice is welcomed. Thanks

Invalid Connection Point usually means that the tag in the Producing PLC does not match the information entered into the Consuming PLC. That could be the name isn't right, or it could be the data types don't match.

One of the more common mistakes with Produce and Consume is not matching the data type. If the Produce tag is a DINT, then the Consume tag must also be a DINT. If the Produce Tag is a User-defined Data Type (UDT), or from an Add-On Instruction (AOI) then the definition in the Producer must match exactly in the Consumer PLC.

OG

Invalid Connection Point usually means that the tag in the Producing PLC does not match the information entered into the Consuming PLC. That could be the name isn't right, or it could be the data types don't match.

One of the more common mistakes with Produce and Consume is not matching the data type. If the Produce tag is a DINT, then the Consume tag must also be a DINT. If the Produce Tag is a User-defined Data Type (UDT), or from an Add-On Instruction (AOI) then the definition in the Producer must match exactly in the Consumer PLC.

OG
Right, which is why I'm puzzled. I believe my names are correct and everything is a DINT.

interlocks.jpg

Before you even add the tags, does the L72S show good in the L83 I/O tree? Make sure you have a configured connection before adding the Produced/Consumed tags to eliminate more than one error going on. On the L83, you should see both the L72S and the L72SP and the ENxT module, all show running with no yellow triangles.

Appreciate the advice everyone. I figured it out. I haven't had this happen before but now I know for next time. Turns out the module slots were put in the wrong order when they auto-populated under the bridge module.